Temporary IFTA permits

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Jestrada0404, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Jestrada0404

Jestrada0404 Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Hello everyone!!! I am still waiting for my IFTA sticker but I need to work so I decided to go over comdata and purchased temporary fuel permits from states I will be crossing, so far so good , problem is that they charged me $50 processing fee , for example GA fuel permit cost $16 for 10 days but Comdata charged me $74 , now my question, where can I buy this permit without those FEEs there is a place where I stop by and get it from them like on the state welcome centers or so ?? Thanks guys

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Only way that I know that you can get around the processing fees is to deal with the states directly, permit services have to make their money somehow. I know in my home state of TN, the only way to cut out the permit services is to go in person to the state office.

Why is it taking so long to get your IFTA? In TN, I can go to the office and get my stickers the same day I apply, even doing it by mail only takes as long as the post office takes to mail it to you (3 days at most).

redoctober83 Thanks this.
  4. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    First, figure out what is wrong with getting your sticker!!! It shouldn't take more then a couple days.

Second, do you have the actual permit for ifta? If you have that you're good to run for a bit.

Third, if you open your atlas, there is a section in the front that lists all of the information each state's ifta permits. If that doesn't work, go to the ifta website and you can look up each jurisdiction and their contact info.

5. Dan47

Dan47 Light Load Member

Feb 14, 2015
    IFTA/IRP can be done in same day in most states if you have all required paperwork. I drove 5 hour one way to the office just not to deal with mailing back and forth. I would suggest you to do the same.

6. deathB4decaf

deathB4decaf Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2018
    When we first did IFTA we were given a temporary permit until our stickers came in and IRP gave us our apportioned plates the same day because we went directly to the office.

7. Jestrada0404

Jestrada0404 Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2017
    I am in TX and everything take 3 times more time than same process in other states , as I am new applicant they do not ket me go to an office and pick my sticker same day , I have to do everything on line and they take between 3 to 5 weeks processing time , my friend did same process 2 months ago and he just received his sticker last week , insane right !!!

Willie Pete and deathB4decaf Thank this.
  8. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Yes insane....

my state even new applicants can get them as a walk in. The irp office might not like it but whatever.....

deathB4decaf Thanks this.
  9. deathB4decaf

Jan 10, 2018
    Most definitely insane. Good luck.

10. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    IRP in Findlay Ohio alot of time will tell you to drop them off and come back in two days. Yea that blows.

deathB4decaf Thanks this.
  11. deathB4decaf

Jan 10, 2018
    We went to the one in Columbus, Ohio. They took quite a while but we needed them same day.

jamespmack Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.