Texas Intrastate

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TEXAS TRUCKER, Jan 7, 2011.

1. TEXAS TRUCKER

TEXAS TRUCKER Bobtail Member

Dec 10, 2008
    huntsville tx
    Just wondering if there are any o/o on here that just run in Texas?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ShortBusKid

ShortBusKid Heavy Load Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Vegas
    I run a fair amount of intra-TX but not exclusively. I know a few guys that do run only TX and seem to do pretty well. Those guys are running flats. I talked to a guy that has a two year deal hauling stuff I think from Freeport for a new wind farm somewhere down around Del Rio but that was all over size but the rates were impressive if he was telling the truth.

4. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    I used to do alot ofit when I was with landstar. the TX rates are pretty good untill you try to go out of the state. There was alot of deadhead though and there is dead spots, perticularily over by san antonio. Everything goes in, nothing goes out

5. stepnfetchit

stepnfetchit Medium Load Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Monett MO
    Don't live in Texas but until I retired I was in Amarillo every week at Affiliated Foods. Got to talking to some O/O's there and they were running from Amarillo, Hereford, Dumas to Laredo and McAllen every week. They were getting 1.90 a mile plus FSC (that's what they said) Can't prove it or disprove it. They were running reefers and most had their own authority. Know one thing if you could run from Amarillo, Dumas, or Hereford every week to McAllen the miles would add up quick. Didn't check the mileage but I bet its close to 800+ miles one way. Do that a couple of times a week and the miles would add up. Years ago there were some guys hauling for Budweiser out of Houston and they never left the state of Texas. That was one hell of a good deal. They got paid out and back. Loaded beer out and brought back the empty dividers and cases from the distributors and dealers. Anyway I think under the right circumstances and the right company you could do very well just running Texas.

6. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    there is no money in beer anymore. $1/mi junk loads

7. ShortBusKid

ShortBusKid Heavy Load Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Vegas
    JB Hunt has the dedicated business here in Houston. You're right Medicine Man - beer is not the best paying freight but really freight out of Houston for a reefer is pretty cheap in general.

8. BAYOU

BAYOU Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Beaumont,Tx
    I do 85% in texas but sometimes i have to run into La by mansville why do you want to stay in just Tx?

9. terrylamar

terrylamar Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    A "true" Texan, would never ask such a question! :)

MedicineMan Thanks this.
  10. TEXAS TRUCKER

TEXAS TRUCKER Bobtail Member

Dec 10, 2008
    huntsville tx
    Yes I would like to stay in Texas,maybe a little Lousiana,Alabama,Mississippi and Oklahoma. But i would like to be 90%Texas

Big Red Thanks this.
  11. BAYOU

BAYOU Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Beaumont,Tx
    If you do flatbed than yes:yes2557:
    mostly what i haul is pipe and like i said 85% is in TX

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.