Thank You Driver Lights

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by slideandride, Feb 18, 2011.

1. slideandride

slideandride Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Dillon, MT
    OK IM going to try an explain this without it sounding confusing so here we go: I have noticed in many trucks not just Peterbilts people are able to flash there clearance lights when passing someone with out turning there head lights off. In a 2006 and newer I believe the button is on the end of the blinker lever, but on the earlier trucks the only way to flash your markers is to turn the headlights off in order for your markers to go off too. I had a 2000 pete that I clipped the Marker light wire going into the main headlight switch and it worked but whenever I flipped the switch for my "courtesy flash" my markers would blink as did my high beams for some reason, a mystery to this day because i sold that truck and now Im back to square one with my other truck and figuring out how to do it to this one, which is a 96, with out having the high beam flash problem. SO I was wondering if anyone out there knew which wire to change or clip on the earlier models to make it so you can flash your markers without killing the headlights or having your high beams blink. Thanks for anybody's input!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ratherbtruckin

ratherbtruckin Light Load Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Colorado
    Heres a thought you "could" try........Not sure if it will work, but locate the power (hot) wire going to your pigtail, and splice a toggle switch in there? You may have to extend the wire to the dash and back to the pigtail, but its a thought.

You might try from your fuse box, or breaker panel to the pigtail, as it should be closer to the dash to start with. Rocking that switch should cut power to your trailer lights. I'm not sure if that will work with reefers, but should with a skateboard or dry box. Someone correct me if I'm looking at it wrong.

4. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    The trucks I drove back in the late 90's had an interrupt switch that allowed me to flash the trailer lights without messing with the headlights. What did they do, get rid of that switch?

5. slideandride

slideandride Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Dillon, MT
    this truck is a 96 and my other one was a 2000 and neither one of them had an interrupt switch but a buddy of mines 94 had one but it looked as if someone put it in custom

6. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Dang, and the truck that I had was a 97 or 98 if I remember correctly. Had that switch, but it could have been specced in. I think the truck was an O/O spec, since it had a fridge in it too. Freightshaker century.

7. The Admiral

The Admiral Heavy Load Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Akron,Ohio
    Look behind your dash. Somewhere in that snake pit of wires is a lead for what you are looking for. It should have a label on it. Then maybe go to the boneyard and look for a Ptb. factory switch and or have Ptb. run your buddies Serial No. and find out if his is OEM or aftermarket. For that matter maybe he would let you look behind his dash to maybe locate the harness you are looking for. Good Luck!

8. Gears

Gears Trucker Forum STAFF - Gone, But Not Forgotten.

Aug 20, 2009
    My Pete has a separate switch for markers and headlights, so I could just flip off and on the marker switch....but I just put my hazards on for a couple blinks.

9. outerspacehillbilly

outerspacehillbilly "Instigator of the Legend"

May 28, 2009
    The Who's Your State
    Trucks have had interrupter switches for a long time. Long before 96. Yours should also but if it was a stripped down company truck originally then it may not.

10. black_dog106

black_dog106 Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2009
    MA
    Just as Lilbit said. I have installed "momentary interupt" switch in a couple of trucks. They were both Macks with very simple wiring . Wired it into tail, marker or whatever i wanted to blink...

11. WMGUY

WMGUY Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Nine Mile Falls, WA
    my 00 pete has a switch that rocks up for daytime it flashes the tail lights and the high beams then if you rock it down it flashes the clearance lights.. might be able to get one of these switches and make it work

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.