that smoke smell in the truck...

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by soon2betrucking, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    the hardest part for me when I quit was when I was bored. You look for something to do... and lighting up is easy.

I had to learn to turn my brain in another direction. It had benefits - I'm rarely bored any more

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Well, you could always do what I do. Smoke cigars. I've smoked them for so long my sense of smell is as long gone as any other sense I might have at one time had. . .:biggrin_2552:

4. doubledragon5

doubledragon5 Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Lewisville TX
    I smoked in my truck as well, and had that smell.. What I did was wash down some of the inside, with water and soap. Then at least once a day used Lysol spry and that always did the trick.. When I quit OTR my truck did not smell like a smokers truck..

5. CulliganMan

CulliganMan Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2008
    North Jersey
    Wait for the hottest week of the year and plan to take vacation that week.

Just before leaving put 3 whole fish (any type) in the cab and two in the bunk then close all windows and doors,

The day you come back you won't worry about the smell of cigaret smoke.

6. Screming Eagle

Screming Eagle Bobtail Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Wilsonville, AL
    If you can stop at a Wal Mart get you a can of LEMON Oust and an oder absorbing jel freshener it will keep your truck smelling great and not like an ashtray. Both my wife and I smoke and thats how we keep our truck smelling great.

7. Truckerjo

Truckerjo Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Indiana
    There is a product called unsmoke... Google it.. I have used it and it worked well, just depends on how much you want to spend...

Another way that removes odors (just about any, even urine.. don't ask.. I had a truck that smelled like piss one time.. made me so sick.)

Peroxide.. buy 5-6 bottles of the stuff it is cheap... like $1 per bottle.. Poor it into a bucket. mix it like this.
    1 quart peroxide.
    1/4 cup baking soda
    1 teaspoon dish soap

Take a rag and just start wiping everything down real good... I mean everything.. seats, ceiling, carpets all of it.. May leave a white resido but it can be cleaned of later.. put some in a spay bottle and spay inside the air vents...

Replace the cab filter... VERY IMPORTANT...

Truck will not have smoke smell in it after that... Cleaned all of my trucks out that way when i first had the chance to do so.. Removes every smell in the truck.. I also used a bissel carpet cleaner if the truck had carpet...

RBPC Thanks this.
  8. LoveMyWife1337

LoveMyWife1337 Bobtail Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Harlan, IA
    My mother-in-law smoked and all my crap inside her house smelled like smoke.... and my wife is highly allergic to smoke and we didn't know what to do.... So, we found out, in sub zero temps, we left all our clothes outside in the winter and we brought it back in---guess what, no smoke!!!!

Try that out.... Once winter comes if the smoke doesn't go away, turn the heat off, put the windows down, and air the truck out... see if that works... I'm not sure if it will or not.

Eric

9. soon2betrucking

soon2betrucking Road Train Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Philadelphia, Pa
    well im not going to freez my rump off to rid the smell, and im not trying to make my truck smell like a nasty public restroom by using lysol and other such things, i think im going to just use some simple air freashners and deal with the smell,
    thank thanks to everyone, i did see some really decent ideas on ways to rid the smell in my truck,
    thanks again.

10. zedanny

zedanny Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Arkansasa
    Your never gonna get rid of the smell till you get rid of the cause of the smell.:biggrin_25516:
    That means a lot of elbow grease and quite smoking.You can use all the sprays you want but they will just hide it temp.
    Your body and your cloths are all part on it.
    Sorry friend but I smoked for 55 years before I quite. As much as you don't like it as long,but as you smoke you just have to live with it. :biggrin_25525: Take care Danny

11. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    A smoker loses alot of the sense of smell to smoke. Alot of people think that their house or vehicle does not reek of smoke odor.

A friend of mine said his wife never smoked in the new car he bought her.

I sat in it one day and instantly could tell. In fact, she admitted to me later she had always smoked in it.

RBPC Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.