That trailer brake handle, how does it work?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by TruckRunner, Oct 14, 2018.

1. TruckRunner

TruckRunner Heavy Load Member

Dec 21, 2017
    So I never had that feature with the company I have been driving for eight years. I was told that it will allow you to use your trailer's brakes instead of the truck's brake. My question is does it engage the brake harder the more you push it down? Kinda like how the pressure added to the brake pedal with your foot? I am going to haul new third party trailers so I will use their brakes more often to save my truck's. I am surprised the gubment and corporations even allow such a feature.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Yes it's like a brake pedal. The more you pull the more it applies brakes. It is not for parking.

If your is the trailer brakes and not the truck brakes as well, you are not very smart.
    You will be more likely to burn the trailer brakes, or start the whole thing on fire on a down grade situation.

It is plain stupid to try and use trailer brakes to save tractor brakes. Brakes are cheap use them properly.

4. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Yes the more you push the Johnny Bar the more brake it applies... Be warned though... I have yet to find a newer truck that the Johnny Bar will apply anything less than 20 psi. So when it first lets air to the brakes it is 20+ psi of brake application. The older trucks you could easy on the Johnny Bar and get as little as 2 or 3 psi, they were much better... I dont even try to use the Johnny Bar in newer trucks except to slide axles or do tug test.

MACK E-6, Friend, PoleCrusher and 10 others Thank this.
  5. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    I'm not qualified to say any more.

snowwy, Kyle G., Lepton1 and 3 others Thank this.
  6. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Tug test, sliding axles, or during my pretrip to check brake lights and listen for leaking air on the trailer. If you pull a frameless end dump, it is also useful while dumping, as it holds better than the spring brakes and releases quicker when it's time to transition from pulling the truck back to the trailer to pulling the trailer towards the truck as the load piles up on the ground behind the trailer.

There really isn't a good practical use for them on the road. If you're that concerned about "saving" your tractor brakes, you're not being paid enough. Brakes are cheap and last quite a while under normal use...certainly not worth the risk created by using only the trailer brakes while driving.

06driver, InTooDeep, kylefitzy and 7 others Thank this.
  7. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    Not for use for parking.. OR DRIVING! Look at it this way.. the foot valve is like the volume knob on the stereo.. the trolley valve is like an on off switch.. it takes longer for the air to release.. and if (as many a super trucker legend insists) you try and save a jackknife with it.. it will only make any slide worse! Be cautious! There are reasons that a lot of carriers have removed them from the trucks. They are great to have, but the potential for disasters is more than likely. Like lots of great things we used to have, the Jethro brigade has caused lots of them to disappear.

8. TruckRunner

Dec 21, 2017
    :confused5:

9. TruckRunner

Dec 21, 2017
    Ah a tug test would be a great reason to use it. I always pulled the trailer set brake for that but not anymore.

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  10. TruckRunner

Dec 21, 2017
    OK relax guys I thought it was for driving that is why I asked. I won't use it while driving then I suppose someone just told me wrong when he said it was used for trailer braking instead of your truck's to save the brakes.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  11. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    Lots of container haulers use it to save on the tractor brakes. Not that I'd recommend it though.

06driver and 201 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.