The “Complete Knee Replacement” Saga

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Big Don, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Hello, everyone! Thought I’d jump over here to the health corner to post this. Just sort of a “heads up” as to what happened with a major joint replacement for me. Others, of course, have had different experiences. Some better, some worse. Because we are all different, they tell me that everyone experiences it a bit differently.

I hate to write such long drawn out posts, but this is info that I think anyone who is contemplating a major joint replacement needs to know about.

Anyway, here goes: Back in 1988, I had a knee cap dislocated. (how doesn’t matter, I guess, but it was an on duty LE injury.) Anyway, ever since then, I’ve had problems with my right knee. So while I was driving big truck, as long as I was not local, the knee didn’t bother me too much, because I wasn’t using it all that much. But after I went local in 2004, it really started raising heck with me. Guess it just didn’t like climbing in and out of tractors and trailers 100, (more or less,) times a day. As it got worse, I found that I was pretty distracted, and allowed myself to have several on the job injuries, NONE of which should have happened. Anyway, I fought it out until 2008, when I finally gave it up and retired.

It was better for a time after that. But over the past several months, it had gotten much worse again. I had arthroscopic surgery on it in Sept. or Oct. of last year. Helped slightly, but did not cure the problem. So I elected to go with a knee joint replacement.
    I had surgery on December 12, 2012, and the knee was successfully replaced. Of course, I was on massive doses of pain killer and muscle relaxant. Went through the PT in the hospital, and was released on December 15.

On December 16, I had a pretty good heart attack, and was carted to the ER by ambulance. Interestingly enough, I had the heart attack during the initial visit from the home healthcare nurse. (And NO, she was NOT a “hottie.”):biggrin_25522: However, I’m not sure I would have recognized what was going on, if she had not been there, as I was still on massive doses of narcotics.

So anyway, back to the hospital for another three day stay. It took them a while to do their magic, as the old ticker just did NOT want to cooperate with them. A side note here; I have since learned that about 40% of the “seniors” that have major joint replacement suffer either a heart attack, or a stroke, within a few days. Something the orthopedic surgeons conveniently “forget” to tell you. Shoot, I even went through what they called a “Knee Class.” A two hour pre surgery class given at the hospital for all knee replacement candidates, and I don’t remember either stroke or heart attack being mentioned there. (FWIW, I really cannot say whether or not knowing this would have made any difference in my decision to have the surgery.)

OK, so now I’m back home, recovering nicely from both the heart attack and the knee surgery. I’m having in home PT on the knee, and the two guys who are doing it, really do know what they are doing. But I am still on massive doses of pain killer and muscle relaxant. Both therapists tell me not to mess with the dosage, it is what the doctor ordered, and what I need.

I went back to the surgeon for a follow-up appointment. One of the things we discussed, was the massive amount of narcotics I was taking. He assured me that I needed the amount he was prescribing, and that I would not get “hooked” on it. (Lying SOB):biggrin_25510:
    Anyway, after a few weeks, common sense told me that both the surgeon, his PA and my two therapists didn’t know what they were talking about, and I needed to get off of narcotics. I was on Percocet for pain, and Soma for muscle relaxant. So I tried to go off of them by myself.

I found out what addicts go through with withdrawal! :biggrin_2556: I’ve heard about it of course, even seen it a couple of times, but until you experience it for yourself, you really have no idea. I won’t go into detail with it, other than to say it was flu like symptoms, only magnified many times over. The only thing I didn’t have was a fever.

Ended up going to my family doc for help. They put me on a “step down” program to wean me off of the narcotics. So instead of having withdrawals all at once, the symptoms are spread out over time, and much less serious. But they are still bad enough to make me know I NEVER want to take this crap again, once I get off of it. I’ve still got 5 days to go on the tapering off. . .:biggrin_2557:

Today, the PT and I took a stroll down the street, just to go for a walk. Other than doctor’s appointments, it was the first time I’ve been out of the house! And I did a few other things I haven’t done before. I was able to kneel, (on a couch cushion placed on the floor, with a pillow atop it, between two straight chairs that I used to lower and raise myself.) I started a step up exercise on the leg with the new knee, and (OH JOY!) I was able to crawl into the driver seat of my old pickup truck. Of course I won’t be driving anything until I’m well past having an opioid in my system!

I must stop for now, as I cannot sit at the computer with this leg not raised for too long at a time.

As for the knee, it is healing nicely, and getting stronger every day.

Lilbit, king Q, skellr and 1 other person Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Just can't do anything half assed can ya ol buddy?? Gotta go throw in a heart attack for good measure? Glad to hear ur up and around and the new knee is starting to work out 4 u! You'll b kickin ### & taking names in no time--thoughts and prayers are still with ya--

Big Don Thanks this.
  4. interdude

interdude Light Load Member

Mar 28, 2012
    good warning for anyone else when it comes to the 'controlled' stuff,

you're also on your own if adding booze to the mix

Big Don Thanks this.
  5. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    My girlfriend's have double knee rep laments in Feb. 61 yrs old.

Big Don Thanks this.
  6. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Frankly, I just can't imagine what adding booze to the mix would do. Sounds like a recipe for suicide to me. . .

7. Big Duker

Big Duker "Don Cheto"

Sep 18, 2007
    Weatherford, TX
    ####! That's a scary story. My brother just had his 2nd knee replacement down in Austin. Going to tell him about the stroke/H A numbers. Never heard that. He had Hell with O Bama s new regs. Had to go back to every Dr he had ever seen in last 50 yrs and get them to sign off. Some were dead or retired. Had to get others to recheck old ailments. Was really chapped by the time he got to hospital.
    Good luck with the pain killers. And pat your self on the back for being smart and tough enough to recognize and get off that crap.

8. DirtyBob

DirtyBob Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Indiana
    I know how that goes with the pain medicines. When I almost lost my leg, shattered a hip and couldn't walk for three years I was prescribed Oxycontin and Percocet the entire time. I never took a single Percocet and told my doctor every time and low and behold I'd come out with another prescription of it. They would never listen. Another time I told them I needed a lower dosage of Oxycontin as I really didn't need the more powerful one and I came out with a prescription for double the mg and two more doses a day. Made me realize how a lot of people get hooked on them when they weren't looking to abuse them in the first place.

I just stopped taking them pretty early into the whole ordeal. Was maybe on Oxycontin for 6-8 months and one day decided I didn't want it anymore. I came to the realization that I would probably never be pain free the rest of my life and trying to chase being pain free would leave me addicted. I never went through withdraw though and I'm not sure why. Maybe it was hard to discern it from the pain and everything else I felt all over my body, I don't know. There were so many surgeries over those three years that not many parts of me felt good.

Good luck with fighting it and get yourself healed up. I know how much it can suck to not be able to do much with a leg that hurts when it's left down. Get better Don.

9. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    DirtyBob, some people just don't get addicted to the pain meds. I had been on them for a while because of back problems, and once I had my surgery and was healed up enough, I just stopped taking them. No withdrawal problems for me either. Other people get addicted to them very easily.

Big Don, get yourself healed up, and really bud? You had to toss in a heart attack? I thought I was difficult! You got me beat there bro!:biggrin_25522::biggrin_25525:

10. king Q

king Q Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Johannesburg sa
    Knowing I will need knee replacements in the future , this is good info.
    Thanks , hope all improves and you are back up to yourself soon.

11. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    I know your story all too well. To be honest with you pain killers is what made me quit drinking. It made alcohol taste like crap and still does today. It should be a method of drying out alcoholics but then again you go from one addiction to another.

Most doctors don't understand painkillers because they only took them for a couple days at most. It's one of them things you have to walk that mile. I took them for about a year and a half and was abruptly cut off because they really aren't good long term for your heart and lungs, not to mention your kidneys. Usually someone that is prescribed long term has exhausted other possibilities. But like you said and even all documentation says you should be slowly weened off them. Too many doctors will just cut you off and that is not good. When you feel like you are dying from withdrawals you will seek to stop the experience which just worsens the addiction. I was prescribed 10mg and it was just too much. I didn't tell the doctor but I cut my pills in half. Instead of taking a 10mg every 8 hours I took 5mg every 6 hours which worked out much better. That way you don't feel all messed up and it still knocks the edge off the pain.

I never knew there was such a pill problem until I got on them. Because all the pill poppers will find out and come to you with some sob story. For anyone that gets prescribed them don't ever tell anyone because the word will get out and all of a sudden strange people will try to be your friend. :)

I've been off them about a year now and just living with the pain the best I can. The VA is real strict about prescribing them. I mainly use a tens unit and heating pad. I refuse to use muscle relaxers or crazy people brain drugs to stop the pain. I rather deal with the pain than be messed up where you can't function. I recently stopped the Effient so I'm open for surgeries. I think I'm gonna get my back operated on now that I can.

Your post caught my eyes because my knees have been killing me for about 6 months know. It exceeds the back pain. The only way I can get relief is laying down with the legs straightened out. They pop every time I move them and know they are wore out. I probably have to get knee surgery too. The doctor is focusing on the other stuff and hasn't given my knees attention yet. Then again my VA clinic closed last August I just started going to another one last week. It's been about 6 years my left knee swelled up and festered. I pulled a 1/2" bone sliver out. I guess that happened when I was working on the truck and kneeled down on a chunk of gravel. That hurt! :biggrin_2555:

Anyways I hope your knees are better and feel well soon. Nobody needs to deal with that stuff. Pushing on a heavy clutch pedal your whole life doesn't help.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.