The 8 inch rand McNally tablet

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Upright, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    No bashing here, just pointing out a fact. I have a Garmin GPS unit, Dezl 560. So far I have yet to need an SD card for storage of map updates.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. moosc

moosc Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Lincolnton NC
    Yeah that's how devices go. The old Garmin 465T needs SD card for maps. Newier ones are built with more memory. Does that mean they added enough ie RM For next big update or do they prefer folks just buy a new device every year.

4. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    I did mention when the SD card was needed, that the 530/730 now come with 8gb internal versus 4gb on the 510/710 and 520/720.

5. rookietrucker

rookietrucker Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jul 15, 2007
    TEXAS
    They are working on a solution ? That is the best RM can do for drivers spending their hard earned money at $500 a pop.

Sorry, I should not have to go looking in a thread, on a truckers forum, for a known problem.

Rooster1291979 Thanks this.
  6. rookietrucker

rookietrucker Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jul 15, 2007
    TEXAS
    Not everyone will like your product period. If the product worked properly out of the box from the start. I would have a different opinion for you but that's not the case at all. Like I said, two units were purchased at the same time for $ 1100 with the same problems. I'm rather disappointed at RM, since they have been building these GPS for some time now.

Also, this electronic connection section is not dedicated for you on RM GPS. Don't like my opinion, don't respond. :biggrin_2558:

Rooster1291979 Thanks this.
  7. MsJamie

MsJamie Road Train Member

Actually, Apple is being sued over that very thing. A class action suit over one of the no-longer-made iPods.

double yellow Thanks this.
  8. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    Closer look: a few non google brands will start with 5.0 or more soon while many others will be getting updates on 4.whatever and less ..

Samsung galaxy S6 March 1rst

9. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    So the millions of recalls on cars that recently hit the news, some back as far as the late 90's. Do you think the car manufacture will send you a recall notice? Some do and some don't.

So, if we are not working on a solution RM will get bashed. If we are working on a solution we get bashed. What do you want RM to do? The issue was not a common one and did not show up till later.

I posted a workaround and since you are part of the Staff on TTR, you do spend time on this site. It is not like you just found the site.

I spend my hard earned dollars on many things and one of them is my computer, yet they constantly send out fixes and updates.

Everybody that works can say it is their hard earned dollars for anything they buy. I had a 2013 Grand Cherokee that had constant software issues with the engine and transmission. It took about 6 trips (one a month) for them to finally see an issue, but no known fix, but they did me right and put me in a 2014 Overland at no difference in cost.

Sorry if RM was able to duplicate the issue you the driver are seeing and actually started working on a solution. I can say that RM is within 90% of resolving the issue. Right now it is in testing phase.

At least I was nice enough to post a work around to the ones on TTR so they can use their TND while RM is resolving the issue.

When it is fixed I will personally send you an PM so you don't have to visit the support thread to find out.

Mark

jbee Thanks this.
  10. Singular_Lupus

Singular_Lupus Bobtail Member

Feb 3, 2015
    Mobile, Al
    Test monkey here <-- Having a problem with "Truck GPS" freezing up on me at random times. Is being worked on? Is there a fix enroute? Or is this an issue native to the Android OS you have no control over?

11. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    I never said that everyone will like the RM. But this thread on the RM TABLET has turned into a bashing thread for RM products.

I never said it was dedicated to me either.

You as a Staff member certainly know this section is here and since I have been on TTR for about 7 years with many threads on the RM TND you would have known about me here also.

If you had an issue with your RM TND's why did you not reach out to me in a PM or a post? This is the first time I have heard you had issues.

Mark

jbee Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.