The backup camera situation?

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by NewHaul2018, Feb 17, 2019.

1. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    I don't know, which is why I pointed out where I heard it. Maybe something I'll look into when I get to the desktop and off this phone.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I don't know about you and how long you have been driving, but backing ranks real low on my terrifying meter compared to driving in the snow, heavy wind, big city rush hour traffic, etc.

shogun, RustyBolt, ZVar and 1 other person Thank this.
  4. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    THIS!!!

I am not a great “backer” but I’m getting better... but I’m very curious as to just how many backing related deaths are we talking about here... now, in my personal opinion, going forward is much more of a safety issue... maybe we need forward facing cameras on our trucks?

I know... I know... it’s called a windshield... lol

Bean Jr., RustyBolt and NewHaul2018 Thank this.
  5. ast26909

ast26909 Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2018
    This can be accomplished with a camera drone, you can buy a drone for couple hundred $ now and launch it when you are backing. It would be cool to have a docking station for the drone perhaps on the roof of the truck, launch it when needed and dock and charge it when not in use.

VIDEODROME and MidWest_MacDaddy Thank this.
  6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Also backing is easy. It's just way too many drivers are lazy. GOAL is a real thing that needs to be done a lot more than it is. For the op, if you don't know the acronym it stand for Get Out And Look. If you don't know exactly where the trailer is in relation to other objects, set the brakes and go look.

You can back slowly while GOAL'ing 1,000,000 times and be ok. Only takes once where you "know" where the trailer is to rip off a hood.

7. MidWest_MacDaddy

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    And to be honest, I am a tech oriented kind of guy... if someone wants to put a camera on their truck/trailer, awesome... go for it... I would love to know more...

But...

I’ll be the very first to admit that with my seven mirrors, combined with “Get Out And Look”, I am thinking the low tech approach is working just fine....

And yes, I may in the future bump into a trailer or something... while backing.

Rubber duck kw and NewHaul2018 Thank this.
  8. MidWest_MacDaddy

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Oh yessssss... now that it something I want!!!

We could place the drone (which can already be programmed to follow people, so a truck would be easy) on the back of the cab... flip a switch on the dashboard and it flies off and turns one’s iPad or tablet into a controller... but it would automatically soar high enough to see the whole truck from above... like we bring up a satellite view of the drop point before delivery so we know what we are looking at before getting there... then when done, it flies back to it home to recharge.

Occasionally I might actually use this on a blind back... but mostly at night to scope out the Lot Lizards at the Truck Stops... lol

But seriously, I like the drone idea.... :)

9. NewHaul2018

NewHaul2018 Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2018
    I agree and I think GOAL is the best primary practice for safe backing. I use it all the time, but I’ll admit that when the pressure is on at a busy dock to get that thing in the hole, I don’t use it enough. I think the cameras as a secondary system that works in conjunction with and supports the info you gather during a GOAL would be a welcome addition. I like having as many useful tools in the toolbox as possible.

10. NewHaul2018

NewHaul2018 Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2018
    The national safety council states 15,000 injuries and 500 deaths per annum.

https://www.tdi.texas.gov/pubs/videoresource/fsvehiclebackin.pdf

What is an acceptible number for you?
    (Kidding)

MidWest_MacDaddy and ZVar Thank this.
  11. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    And with the fact we have the ELD's already int he truck it can be integrated into that screen. Just hit a button on the ELD, it launches and switches the the drone camera...
    Wonder how well that would work.... Heck, are drones accurate enough to even dock back on a base station?

MidWest_MacDaddy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.