The basics?? Maybe or maybe not...

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by Rollin_18, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Rollin_18

Rollin_18 Light Load Member

Dec 6, 2012
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Where to start, I'm looking into becoming a owner operator but plan on getting my truck by leasing it from a company (such as Prime inc.). I know I know it's a stupid idea and ill get screwed over and won't make any money and will hate it and wish I never did it and I might as well save and buy a used truck so I don't have payments cause leases are designed to help the company and screw the drive with a 12 foot pole. No need to hear that cause I already heard it and read it a thousand times on here, I'm willing to take a shot at it and give a gods honest opinion about (not bad mouth it cause I messed up and spent too much money at the bar or got that sweet cb radio from roadster communication that has all the lights and echo and stuff I don't need but want). This isn't something I'm going to just jump right into, I plan on researching for about 8 months and doing whatever I can to get a understanding as life as a owner op or lease op. trust me I have a lot to turn and I'm going to touch on that in a minute and hopefully you all can help. Enough with the ranting on and on about nothing lets get to business.

first that I can think of and is killing me cause I been reading about it for the last 3 hours is FUEL SURCHARGE!!! How in the hell does that work? I seem something online about if fuel is 4.088 then something something something .66/mile. Call me stupid but does that mean you get paid .66 a mile for fuel or what? Bare with me I know nothing about fuel surcharge at all!! That's my main worry. I seem another thing that said something like if gas is 4.00 a gal then the rate increase is .52. Hold on now, something just clicked in my small brain!! Does this mean if I'm getting .80 cents a mile then .52 cents will go to fuel?? Am I right?

next question is something ill ask a recruiter but won't hurt to ask you all, is primes parents weekly or biweekly or monthly? I ask this cause their website says the payment is between like 600-950 depending on the truck. It also says that the average weekly revenue for reefer truck is 3,500 but you get 72% of that, how in the hell do you make money if that's the case and truck parents is due every week?

Okay enough questions for now cause that question was pretty dumb in my defense cause I just made it look like leasing is not the way to go. It's past my bedtime if I'm not making any sense lol my main question is fuel surcharge. Feel free to add in whatever I should know, hell call me a ###### if you like there will be no offense taken. Fill me in you alls journey through the owner op or lease purchase life. In 8 months ill either make the biggest mistake of my life or the best. I'm hoping to make it the best, for now ill just save save and save some more. Thanks for baring down and reading my craziness.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    Why do you want to lease a truck from a carrier? Why not buy one out right on your own? With cash or by borrowing the money. Fuel surcharge is normally figured from the DOE (Department of Energy) and is based on the fleet average of fuel mileage. Leasing a truck from one of the megas you might not get a surcharge, I don't know for sure.

4. NYROADIE

NYROADIE Heavy Load Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Rochester NY
    It's not what you want to hear, But your still a student! WTH? learn to drive and worry about leases and FSC later! Worry about if you can back into a parking spot after 10-11hrs on the road. Sorry to say but your putting the cart WAAAY ahead of the horse!

WitchingHour, superpet39, mje and 4 others Thank this.
  5. Highway101

Highway101 Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2011
    Fallon, Nevada
    Payments are weekly, Fuel surcharge is variable and depends on your contract. Last week I think Prime was paying around .40 cpm, not sure though would have to look to make sure and am not in the truck. Also payment is due whether you are running or not, so if you take hometime its on you to make the payment up.

I don't think they are counting the fuel surcharge as part of the revenue also. But ask the recruiter to be sure.

To be honest with you, I don't think you should lease until you know the ropes, go company, give it a year or 2 and learn the business side of it.

Good luck and hope I helped.

mje Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I have many friends who are very successful with the program Greatwide offers. They have many divisions all over America.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
    mje Thanks this.
  7. Rollin_18

Dec 6, 2012
    Cleveland, Ohio
    It seems like a good way to get a newer truck then buying a older one that you don't know how it's been driven or anything. I know prime says they do the fuel surcharge. There is a lot of people on here saying it sucks don't lease and a hand full of people that love it. I look at like this, if another person can do it so can I. The lease seems like a pretty good deal to me, I keep in mind that most people talking bad about a company on here has more to the story then what they are telling, they saying the mistakes that they as the driver did. I read some on here saying that they had a negative check or just enough to eat or whatever it maybe be, I'm willing to take a chance and manage every dime I spend to make it work out. Part of my plan is to have at least 5000 in the bank just to start out and keep adding. Like say I get 3100 a week and pay 1100 for payment and insurance that leaves me with 2000, okay so now fuel, I managed to keep the miles low and revenue high so I only spent 1000-1200 in fuel. I can make it on 800-1000 a week knowing that ill have something in the end, I would make that as a company driver but wouldn't have a truck or anything.

most finance places want 25% down or something like that and with my credit I know I would be putting a lot down that at the time I really don't have. I wanna lease with a carrier cause its 0 down and no credit check, you get a bonus for leasing and I plan on having that go to fuel. I have done time to think of a plan cause ima drive on the company side for 3 or 4 months then lease.

Why wouldn't you lease?

8. Rollin_18

Dec 6, 2012
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Thanks highway101. Some reason my phone won't let me thank you. But I plan on getting sometime under my bed before leasing. I was thinking maybe 3 or 4 months then jumping into it but I might wait 6 months to a year, ill see how ready I feel once the time comes. Yea I'm a student but I come from a long line of truckers but they are being stubborn trucking and ain't spreading the love lol they was saying not to even drive and what not, but its always been a dream of mine so I'm going to chase it and chase it hard. There ain't nothing wrong with setting high and hard to achieve goals. I'm not expecting to become a billionaire but I do plan on making a nice living once I own the truck.

Highway101 how long you been leasing with prime and what's some advice and how has the journey been so far?

9. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    I wouldn't lease for the same money that a company driver gets. Whats the sense in that? When the truck breaks down or needs tires the company driver doesn't pay for that, the company does. So it doesn't make any sense to make the same money that they do and be financially responsible for the truck, its just not good business, regardless of wether you get a worn out truck in the end or not. Even with the guys on here that have put up numbers from their lease purchase deals and seem to be happy, I look at those numbers and can't think of any reason why I would take on that headache for the little money involved. I have no personal experience with a lease purchase, I have always bought my trucks on my own and leased them onto a carriers with good rates and been paid on percentage.

10. Highway101

Highway101 Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2011
    Fallon, Nevada
    Couple of reasons I don't (Im a company driver for Prime).
    1. Loads are assigned, while you can turn down a load, you go to the bottom of the list when you do and wait till your turn comes back up. Turn down to many loads and guess what. You will do more time setting than running.
    2. I like going home, If you lease and go home, you will have a payment hanging over your head when you come back out of hometime, plus the current payment.
    Me, if I go home all I lose is some revenue,

You are on the right track though, having a reserve set up. Also go over to the Prime thread and read the posting on "Leasing at Prime" that Iron Pony put up.

11. RebelChick

RebelChick Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Coastal VA
    Like another poster said, you are still a student. You need to learn the business before you put yourself out there like that. Drive company for a while. Not every company's lease program sucks, but you have to find the right one (just like finding the right fit in a company to work for). I think what everyone is saying is to slow down for a minute. There are a lot of expenses on the road that maybe you aren't allowing for and said yourself that you were unclear how fuel surcharge is calculated.

I personally wouldn't lease because if I am going to do all the work and have all the headaches of making the payments, I would just buy my own truck. But I don't want that headache, so company is good enough for me.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.