The best CB with SSB?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Jolsen, May 20, 2010.

1. LoneCynic

LoneCynic Bobtail Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Hello gentlemen,

I have been into CB radio use for about a year now. Like Jolsen, I too wish to talk on SSB, and some on AM too. I live within driving distance of that shop in Hebron that Carolina Thunder mentioned. You say the good shop is across from the TA there? I found the place next to the Pilot and bought an antenna there (Wilson 5000 Magnet mount) but their selection and equipment seemed limited as you mentioned.

Being new to CBs, I need a place for info and tech support that I can trust and not get scammed. So, if you say that there is another shop there that I missed before, I'll be sure to look harder next time I am over that way!

Now, for where to buy my radios, I could also use some advice on websites that are trustworthy. So many sell pre-tuned radios, but I am fearful of getting scammed. I currently have a Magnum S-980 that I ordered online about a year ago. I like it alright, but I am not wowed by its performance, and feel it may be time for an upgrade. Any intel on good places to order from would be appreciated. Thanks so much in advance for any insight you can offer.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WA4GCH

WA4GCH Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Seminole Florida
    SPARKY'S cb is a long time shop.

The problem I have with so called export radios outside of thelegalty is quilty control. So you might have one that is so-so but the very next radio built is outstanding.
    There is also NO requirements to be a CB repairman anyone can clame to be one so its a crapshoot ......

4. Turbo-T

Turbo-T Road Train Member

May 31, 2009
    What does a signal generator look like?

I sort of know what an o-scope looks like....does any o-scope work for a CB radio?

And a dummy load...you mean the paint cans with oil in them with a CB radio coax connector on top of it?

5. Big Kolohe

Big Kolohe Bobtail Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Best SSB radio for around 200 watts with a 6 digit display is a RCI 2970 N2.

But it doesn't have an active frequency counter - the Galaxy 95T2 won't quite hit 200 watts but it's pretty powerful and loud, but not as stable on SSB as the 2970.

You can't beat the RCI 2970N2 for SSB frequency stability in a export radio.

6. WA4GCH

WA4GCH Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Seminole Florida
    He is looking for a CB radio if he wants a ham radio go get a ALINCO Dx-70 and go mod it ....

FriedTater Thanks this.
  7. LoneCynic

LoneCynic Bobtail Member

Jun 5, 2010
    What about the RCI69FFC2? I really like the looks of that radio, anyone have any experience with it?

8. WA4GCH

WA4GCH Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Seminole Florida
    AGAIN ......

If your not a licensed HAM get a good CB radio and if you want power go buy a amp. MOST CB radios can be modded for "EXTRA" ( illegal ) chs and cost no more that some expensive " EXPORT ".

This is jusy my opinion based on almost 50 years in radio 47 on them licensed ....

9. FriedTater

FriedTater Keeper of The Snakes

Mar 25, 2009
    United State of Texas
    Solid choice,but a 2970DX thats tweaked is pretty righteous :biggrin_25524:
    Solid 411 here . . . . .
    http://www.zerobeat.net/g3ycc/dx70.htm

10. LoneCynic

LoneCynic Bobtail Member

Jun 5, 2010
    I currently have an export radio, and I stay OFF the frequencies that I am not allowed on without a license. May try to get license someday, but until I do, I respect the fact that I do not have "access" to those and do not key up on them or even switch to those bands. I only operate on the CB Band, and the band between CB and HAM bands.

If anyone has an opinion on that Texas Ranger RCI69FFC2 that has used one I'd like to hear your thoughts.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WA4GCH,

I think sir, that you may mistake me for another power crazed nut in asking about this particular radio. Please understand where I am coming from, and pause before passing an assumptive judgement on me.

My CB Radio experience goes back to when I was a child growing up. My father ran them in his pickup trucks on trips, and taught me the proper lingo and etiquette. I realize this is rarely followed these days, but I still do. Respecting Channel 9 as an emergency frequency only, only talking for a minute or two before breaking for others to key in, understanding the gentlemen's agreement that 36-40 are for Sideband use, and 1-25 for AM, etc, etc.

Even though CB is mostly agitators and and over-modulated noise makers, there are still many decent drivers out there who are silent like myself, waiting our turn. Believe it or not, I don't want to run maximum power, or anywhere close. The export I have now, I run at a legal 4 watts when driving around.

Occasionally, there is a large amount of skip right after severe weather and such where you can hear people from all around. The needle on the receive sits at 8 watts or so even squelched up because there are so many people talking at once far away that it comes across as severe skip static. If I key down at four watts in these conditions, the needle goes back to the left, indicating that I cannot even get out over the static. In those instances, I do ease the power up enough to be heard by my fellow drivers.

I don't want to blow my radios out, I am a minimalist. The minimum amount needed to get out. You mentioned your many years as a radio operator, that's awesome. I'm nearly 30 years old, and although I've only been back into the hobby for a little over a year, I've been around them off and on since I was 6 or so.

Sideband talk is something I enjoy with some locals I met on there, and I hear it is often a stepping stone to people getting their HAM licenses and going further with their hobby. Export Radios are a controversial "grey area" if you will, and I get that. The majority of people who own them ruin the experience for CBers and HAMs alike.

I am not one of those people, however, and who knows, maybe owning one will entice me to pursue my license and take the hobby to a new level.

11. WA4GCH

WA4GCH Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Seminole Florida
    "
    WA4GCH,

I think sir, that you may mistake me for another power crazed nut in asking about this particular radio. Please understand where I am coming from, and pause before passing an assumptive judgement on me"

NO I NEVER SAID YOU WERE ANYTHING OF THE SORTE ....

You were asking a honest question and PERSONLY I don't think " EXPORTS " are much of a deal. I have owned several Rangers over the years and don't think much of them and think even less of most others they are at best IFFY ....

You want a good radio ( CB ) then go buy a CB radio if you need a bit of power get a amp .... AGAIN I don't have a problem with AMPS as long as it dosn't cause problems outside of CB.

AS FOR SSB ......

SSB radios require stabilty and the cheaply made " EXPORTS " are ok but not what I would run on that mode many FM or drift around the band kinda like the old Swan 250"s.

IF your going to soak $400 into a radio and your thinking of going into HAM think about buying a small ham radio like a FT-857 in good shape used. If you do then your all set as long as you don't go on the ham bands no one will care .....

Bruce

Attached Files:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.