The Best Fuel Cards for Owner Operators?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Shotgun94, Nov 15, 2018.

1. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Earn Rewards with J.B. Hunt and Pilot Flying J | J.B. Hunt Transport

Just read about this in a news article today. 18 cents off the cash price would be nice, credit not so much. Wish I could say more about it, but JB Hunt hasn't had anything in my area worth getting set up to haul their freight. I have no idea what strings might be attached to it.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Just got the RTS card and tried to use it today for the first time. The darn pin number they gave me wouldn't work, and I had to fill it with my debit card without the discount I'll be yelling at them on Monday.

Rideandrepair and Shotgun94 Thank this.
  4. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    If you do your homework and look around using Maps and apps like FuelBook you can do just as good or better than NASTC for free.

whoopNride and Shotgun94 Thank this.
  5. Shotgun94

Shotgun94 Medium Load Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Georgia
    I talked to a fuel book fuel card rep yesterday. He said they offer .10 cents off at flying J and pilot and. 8 cents off at TA.
    Are you sure about the that good of a discount with fuelbook?

6. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Take a look at the fuel prices on trucker path app. If you are paying cash or debit/otherwise not on a fuel card, you can save a lot just from that.

All the major chains are almost always way above the .10 you can find at other places. Usually more like .40.

7. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    What I mean is use the app to search for cheap fuel along your route. Also try Google Maps to look around as well. Speedway is getting to be quite competitive also. Or if convenience is top priority, you could drop the 300/yr for the NASTC card. They're best prices are usually TA and Speedway.

Shotgun94 Thanks this.
  8. ChicagoJohn

ChicagoJohn Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    When I switched companies, I went from NASTC to EFS. EFS discounts are all over the board. Yesterday I fueled at the pilot in Hebron in and paid $2.92. The flying j across the street was $3.20. (According to the EFS app). But in Effingham with EFS it's $2.88 @ Petro $3.09 Speedway. With NASTC it's $2.919 @ Petro and $2.739 Speedway.

It's hit or miss. Whay I don't know is if a solo guy can get the same rates with EFS as I'm getting now leased on to a 500 truck company.

Shotgun94 Thanks this.
  9. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    @ChicagoJohn
    Here is my EFS card as a 1 truck show.
    This is the daily email I get. The reason some of the columns are cramped is they send it out as a .csv file. So I converted it to pdf to upload here and this is how it turned out.

Anyone willing to post something similar for NASTC ?
    edit/add:
    I should also note I do not pay a subscription charge for this card. The only fees are $1 per transaction. A transaction consisting of just truck, or truck + reefer, or truck +def+reefer, or any combination, is only charged at $1. I think I am doing pretty good with this card.

Attached Files:

Trooper13, ChicagoJohn and Shotgun94 Thank this.
  10. Shotgun94

Shotgun94 Medium Load Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Georgia
    The fleet one has a 75 dollar start up one time fee and 6 dollars per month. Just fyi

11. whoopNride

whoopNride Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Miss.
    I'm with @DSK333 on this. If you do your homework you can come out almost as well at mom and pops.

Example currently in my area.
    Loves- 3.20
    Pilot- 3.21
    Mom n pop 2.88
    Mom n pop 2.89

So with the the discount applied mom n pop is still cheaper. But there is one more thing I left out. Not having to deal with the idiots that frequent the loves and pilots. Priceless!!

Shotgun94, DSK333 and adayrider Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.