The Best Reason to go ELD

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by DustyRoad, Nov 13, 2018.

1. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    Not going to get into a big pissing match about it, but all too often the supposed authorities on the subject are misinformed. Politely ask them to look up the regs, and then they become educated and better at their own job. This summer I pointed out an error in his thinking to a young man during an inspection. After looking it up, he thanked me for pointing out his error. Don't be a jerk about it, but do point out their mistakes, they are humans, not perfect.

Pedigreed Bulldog Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    I chose to run legal because of IFTA taxes. I am too lazy to write down my mileage in each state so I let the device do all the work for me. I use Omnitracs IVG. The device costed me $850 and I pay $50 per month for IFTA, Weigh station bypass, computer updates, Navigation, etc..

4. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    1st year, it costs you $1450.

You can buy the Garmin ELD for $250, and a Garmin dēzl580 for $300. That gives you the ELD, computer updates, navigation, IFTA, etc...for $550 the 1st year (a savings of $900).

Year 2, you're spending another $600. Garmin has no monthly fees (so another $600 saved).

That's basically what you're saying the weigh station bypass is worth to you...problem is, you can get a stand-alone prepass for a fraction of that.

Unless you have a large fleet and NEED all of the "fleet management" software (tracking, messaging, etc...), you're throwing money away. Worst part is that money you're throwing away is lining the pockets of those who lobbied for the mandate which is now costing you money.

Personally, I have better things to spend my money on.

5. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    Yes I love weigh station bypass... I've already purchased the unit for $850 so I cant take it back... it does what I need it to do..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.