The Car Haul Damage Thread:

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Pullin2, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Pullin2

Pullin2 Crusty Canuck

Nov 5, 2011
    Whoville Pub, Long Island
    Hammer probably already saw this - I posted on FaceBook awhile ago .... I'm not THAT OLD yet BANKER !! LOL !!!! My Crusty Old ### crawled under my truck last night, in the snow, and caged a brake can and saved me an $800 ( minimum ) service call. Do youngn's from truck driving school these days even know what a Caging Bolt is ??? LOL. If you own yer own gear you do ......

And the music is good too !!!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    No they don't, and thanks for the vid, might have to make it a training tool! lol

LloydToo and Pullin2 Thank this.
  4. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    Some of us have been around long enough to remember being able to cage a can and change the spring-side biscuit!

Pullin2 Thanks this.
  5. ralphbohm

ralphbohm Light Load Member

May 6, 2014
    Which ramp is that?

6. ralphbohm

May 6, 2014
    Do they have code for powerline hit??

7. ralphbohm

May 6, 2014
    So, what's the translation? I know about the caging bolt and how to use it. Just don't understand the latter part. Just asking.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    Reason for edit: Additional info for clarification of the post.
  8. ralphbohm

May 6, 2014
    Well, today I had my first taste of loading new trucks at a rail ramp (Laurel, MT) and delivered to a Ford dealership in Rapid City, SD.
    Damage to 3 units I did not see when loading will cost me dearly. I am so fed up with this crap. 2000 miles away from the house on 12/23. Christmas is going to have to be postponed yet again only this time to rub the salt in, I'll be paying for the privilege.
    Hey, I shouldn't complain, at least I'm looking at one helluva white Christmas here beginning tomorrow evening if the weather reports are accurate.
    Does anyone know where I can obtain a full listing of standardised damage codes?
    I'll have some time to read up on them if I stay in this business.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    Reason for edit: Fixed mis-spellings.
  9. Hammer166

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    There are two diaphragms within a spring brake, one for service, one for parking. On the older cans (read: before the lawyers got involved,) you could change the park side diaphragm the same way you can the service side. However, this exposed the spring, and if one failed to properly cage the spring (or you're as unluckly as @Pullin2 ,) the can basically exploded apart when you removed the clamp.

They are now crimped together so as to thwart Darwin and allow the shallow side of the gene pool to continue to reproduce.

10. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    [​IMG]

http://abc7chicago.com/news/news-ca...70924/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

I thought you car haulers might like to see what happened in Riverside IL this afternoon. He hit a railroad viaduct.

Updated 1 hr 12 mins ago
    RIVERSIDE, Ill. (WLS) --
    Riverside police said a series of new cars were damaged after a car carrier driver failed to clear a railroad bridge.

The tops of four SUVs were smashed or sheared off. The driver said he thought he could make it even though signs are clearly posted stating how high the bridge is.

No one was injured, and the bridge is still intact.

KANSAS TRANSIT and Big Don Thank this.
  11. Hammer166

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    FTFY, RM.

Pullin2, Big Don and Roadmedic Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.