The Car Haul Damage Thread:

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Pullin2, Apr 14, 2013.

1. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.

Probably sold as repairable (with an R title) or parted out, some of it has to do with the state you are in.

Speedloader Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Shipped to Mexico, perhaps?

650cat425 Thanks this.
  4. Pullin2

Pullin2 Crusty Canuck

Nov 5, 2011
    Whoville Pub, Long Island
    Absolutely correct. IE Texas has taken the extreme in that if a new or used unit (F-350 or 3500 GM or Dodge) has had a fifth wheel installed (attached to the frame), then that non-factory mod puts the title to salvage because of frame mods 'non-factory'. Even for a new unit.

Wild Eh !

5. Pullin2

Pullin2 Crusty Canuck

Nov 5, 2011
    Good point - Mostly Central America and the Mid-East, actually. Some go whole, some un-assembled. All go in sea-cans.

6. SLANT6

SLANT6 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    The Nut House
    Back when I was moving Ford product, they owned a salvage company (cannot remember the name) similar to copart. I have had them p/u units that were too badly damaged to repair. I have also had units go to the crusher. Not sure of the criteria that sent one to salvage or another to the crusher. Damaged units all had to be examined by the Ford rep. for American Road. For crusher units, they would send the proper documents, you got the tow company that moves intransit repair units to bring it to the crusher, you had to physically watch the unit go thru and be destroyed, you and the scrap people signed the docs. (notarized) and that was that. I wish I could remember the name of the salvage division they had...

Pullin2 Thanks this.
  7. TAK12LLC

TAK12LLC Light Load Member

May 25, 2013
    Little Rock, AR
    The ones we have been hauling have been Chevy 1500 and 2500's of all flavors. They had been on a rail car that fell over and did damage to only the right hand side. So far nothing really major, like cab post bent or the frame. And they all run and drive to load. Glad we operate clean as it is a shame all that fuel and those new tires going to waste.

Speedloader Thanks this.
  8. Pullin2

Pullin2 Crusty Canuck

Nov 5, 2011
    WHAT ?? No news in a week ?? And this is PEAK season ????

So here is the latest damage rumor. It comes to me via 2 separate sources in the independent rail inspection bizzzzzzz.

This damage concerns Ford 'F' and 'E' series products.

F-150 and ALL E series full size vans are showing up at rail heads missing spare tires. Nothing new here. F, E, and Ranger's have been thru this before, but this time it's rampant. More so then in-tailgate-cameras. ........ so I'm told. So watch the F and E series Fords for missing spare tires.

I'll advise further if Ford sends out an official memo to carriers.

KANSAS TRANSIT Thanks this.
  9. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.

Everybody's parked at home on vacation this week, Road Check 2013, LOL

10. Pullin2

Pullin2 Crusty Canuck

Nov 5, 2011
    Well, made it thru road check 2013 ......... mostly by bein' broke down !!!!!!!!! Curses ! Can't win for tryin' !

11. Pullin2

Pullin2 Crusty Canuck

Nov 5, 2011
    Boot marks again !

AUTOPORT seems to be absorbing rail heads fast and furious these days.

http://www.cn.ca/en/our-business/supply-chain-services/warehousing-distribution/autoports

One thing us old AUTOPORT rail headers have noticed is that CN, UP, CP, AUTOPORT, etc etc have really begun implementing tons of impractical safety rules.

Steel toed safety boots are ok ......... but c'mon ........... for the work environment ? ........... Steel toe boots for rail head jockey's seem to be creating ALOT of door sill or rocker panel dents in the "10" or driver door.. I've seen this in many models latey.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.