The difference between a professional driver and a "trucker".

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Diantane, Nov 1, 2020.

1. Diantane

Diantane Light Load Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Alderson, WV
    I've been a professional truck driver since April 1977 after receiving an Honorable Discharge from the US Navy that began near the end of the Vietnam War. My driving record has remained clean my entire career (over five million safe miles). My car insurance is only about $250 twice a year. My goal at work is never about counting miles. It is delivering loads safely (and getting paid every Friday :) I'm financially secure and living a good life. Will be retiring in 2025 after a 48 year career with a lot of good memories.

The Professional Driver
    Professional drivers pre-trip their trucks every day. They follow speed limits (no faster than the maximum limit). They know that driving 5 mph over was never allowed and a fine of about $100 (depending on the state) and points if going 2 to 5 mph over can be enforced. That the speed on ramps is for cars. Your speed limit is half of the posted speed to a maximum of 10 mph under. The heavy weight in a dry van, refrigerated trailer shipping container or normal height flatbed is several feet above the ground to as high as 13 feet. This mean that your load is usually top heavy. Taking turns too fast will result in a turnover. If you feel your cab leaning to the left or right, that is a warning that the top heavy and much heavier trailer behind you in leaning much more.

Driving in construction areas and small towns have a speed limit designed for safe travel through the area. This speed also shows your respect for the highway workers and residents in these towns.

When on the shoulder and going back to the highway. Stay on the shoulder with your four-way flashers on. Gain to a speed of 40 mph while on the shoulder (this lane is wider than your truck so you can safely drive in it). When your speed has reached 40 mph, turn on your left turn signal and slowly merge to the travel lane when it is safe. Turn off your turn signal, but let the four way flashers stay on until your truck is moving at 50 mph. This advanced maneuver also shows your respect to the other motorists and I have received many waves and raves over the CB.

When accelerating do it slowly. My throttle is only down about on third of the way when I upshift (automated transmission). There is no rush and a heavy throttle won't get you there any faster.

Truckers
    Truckers put making money their highest priority. "I need my miles and nothing else matters."

Speed limit 55, 60, 65? I'm going 70 or more with my throttle wide open.
    Construction zone? Throttle wide open!
    Heavy traffic? Ride the left lane and tailgate cars until they get out of my way!
    Small town? 25 mph? No way, I'm going 50 or more!
    Need to leave the shoulder? Get in the travel lane now. Don't care if the traffic is going 70. I'm cutting them off from a standstill.
    Speeding or reckless driving tickets? Getting them at least once a year is normal.
    Need more miles and to drive even faster to pay all of these added fines and insurance hikes.
    My speed over the limit? Doesn't matter if I'm not caught.
    Getting old and need to retire? No way, I need my miles and driving until I die!

As a new driver you have to decide if you want to be a professional driver your entire career and provide for your family or cut the corners and pay the price as a "trucker".

Time4u, scottied67, bryan21384 and 8 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    Impressive that you've never ever exceeded the posted limit...
    I must just be a trucker these past 46 years since I regularly travel 5 over.
    I've never had the need to pull over on a shoulder.
    Oh well.
    Only 2+ years to go

4. Dale thompson

Dale thompson Road Train Member

Nov 20, 2013
    commerce twp,mi
    So glad that humility and modesty are part of being a professional. Sorry to hear about your financial misfortune that is really tragic 43 years and still need another 5 to retire. Bless your heart.

5. Coover

Coover Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2016
    Well lots of variables. My car insurance is only $205 per 6 months on a mid 2000s Honda civic, but is $720 per 6 months on a GT-350

So you're the guy driving 40mph center lane in downtown Chicago when traffic is flowing at 60mph+

Lots of variables....

alds, brysol01, Coffey and 1 other person Thank this.
  6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Professional ——> serious about it and it is a career.

this is the group that wants to learn more, needs to strive to be the best they can be and knows when to say no or when to negotiate a situation.

Just a driver a.k.a. Steering Wheel Holder ———> serious about it being just a job and in many cases a last resort to make legal money.

It is all about the money, worried about that other guy making more than they are but nothing else (there is no brotherhood of drivers) and just worries about miles and only miles, screw the customer.

Most are the latter, the former is few and far between.

Aamcotrans, drh72, Coover and 3 others Thank this.
  7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    My state still sucks, I pay for my 2019 Prius twice as much as you pay for your GT-350 and my cost is with this insurance reform crap they passed, what a huge savings ... $3.67 a year.

Dennixx, Dale thompson and 650cat425 Thank this.
  8. Coover

Coover Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2016
    Ouch! No fault state like FL?

9. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    I pay 550 per yr on a 2017 Accord sport and 350 on a 2006 gmc 2500HD. Full coverage and 500 deductible

10. MericanMade

MericanMade Heavy Load Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Pensacola, FL
    ‘Splains why your content only making $28,000 per year.

11. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
  12. Trucker61016

Trucker61016 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Linville, Va
    Well call me crazy, but guess im a trucker, i kinda do care about a paycheck the most, im not out here for some kind of glory or whether i impress u older drivers or not, your opinion of me is irrelevant.....i am respectful, i go the speed best for me, i merge from the shoulder safely and do my job well.. so i actually am a Professional Driver simply by doing my job well......8 years and counting in the seat.....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.