THE DREADED NORTHEAST

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by dogtrucker, Apr 24, 2018.

1. dogtrucker

dogtrucker Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2012
    my truck
    I am tempted to go to a company that will require a significant amount of East coast, including Northeast. 'Never been up that-a-ways. I got some anxiety about the prospect and have been looking for descriptions of the experience on TTR but haven't found much. Maybe I'm just looking for some encouragement or comparison to other city experiences. For instance: the first few times I did Pittsburgh, I was pretty stressed. Now, though I still don't like it, I'm OK with it. Are NE cities really any worse than that?

I got 6 years in and a perfect record so, I am fairly alert and careful but I am prone to anxiety - would this be a mistake or am I making too much of it?

The company I'm looking at assures me I will top $100K (plus better benefits) if I do what they ask of me. Right now, I get 70 for a fairly easy job ...sooooo ....trying to psyche myself out of this comfort zone - any thoughts or info from NE drivers? Your input is much appreciated.

THANK YOU!

P.S. the company I'm looking at is Experior Transport. Their on-line rep looks very good but their footprint is light - anyone know about them?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    Wargames Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    My experience in the NE has been that the lanes tend to be narrower than most. And the four wheelers drive at insane speeds (if traffic is moving at all). Turn signals are optional. And I think it's required to have a cell phone in one hand and a book in the other.

4. BigBob410

BigBob410 Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Beirut on the Bay, MD.
    I go to Long Island nearly every other day! Would I rather be cruising on wide open road with no traffic? Sure. But they are all roads with cars and trucks. Take your time don't let people bully you and keep your eyes open and doors locked. You'll be alright.

5. UturnGirl

UturnGirl Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Texas
    After you get to know your way around you get used to it.

Highway Sailor, Woodys, DSK333 and 5 others Thank this.
  6. dogtrucker

Sep 10, 2012
    my truck
    Wow - that was quick, thanks.
    So, Pittsburgh Streets with Chicago-type drivers; is that about right?

Farmerbob1 and BigBob410 Thank this.
  7. RustyBolt

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    You could say that.

dogtrucker and BigBob410 Thank this.
  8. dogtrucker

Sep 10, 2012
    my truck
    No doubt - it's that rookie interval that worries me. Maybe I should ask my doc for an anti-anxiety prescription first.
    Could you say something about your first weeks or months in that region and how it was for you?
    Thanks!

9. Surfer Joe

Surfer Joe Heavy Load Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Cape Ann, Massachusetts
    There are thousands upon thousands of people living and working in the Northeast.
    Many of them (thousands?) are driving trucks. Every day...... in the Northeast.
    It's super easy. For anyone. Just get in the truck and drive. No problem whatsoever.
    Are most Americans as whiny, wimpy, and fanatical as the OP here?

TankerP, TripleSix and pmdriver Thank this.
  10. RustyBolt

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    Too much sand up your arse? Gotta call people names for no good reason? He merely asked if all the hoopla over how driving in the NE was really all that. Chill

11. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    My experience in the NE was not that good. Pittsburgh Pa has rush hour into city and out at predictable times. Those HUGE CITIES in the NE never seem to get out of rush hour..just a little less traffic in the wee hours. Companies pay more for a reason to drive in that mess. Some say wimpy, I say why punish myself? Just my opinion , if you live up there or like it? Good for you!!

Farmerbob1, Oldironfan, 12 ga and 4 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.