The Driver Shortage Myth

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Thane, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Thane

Thane Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2017
    Here we go again. Had to enlighten somebody again. "There's a driver shortage" claim being thrown out there. There is no driver shortage. If there were a REAL driver shortage, we'd see big empty spots on the store shelves at Wal Mart, Kmart, Kroger, Winn Dixie, Food Lion, and long gas lines at gas stations. Hey...drivers make the claim that everything is delivered by truck. If that's the case, and the store shelves and gas station tanks are fully stocked, that means THERE IS NO DRIVER SHORTAGE. THINK.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    There is a thing called storage. Most are filled for 1 week of store supplies. But let's keep playing this game.

Aamcotrans and bryan21384 Thank this.
  4. Thane

Thane Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2017
    Long term, the warehouse shelves are gonna get bare IF THERE IS A REAL DRIVER SHORTAGE. Which there isn't.

5. Oldironfan

May 22, 2017
    There is. But not to much of a degree as repeated on the news. Here are the factors.
    Low wages.

Treatment of drivers.

No reasons to become a trucker, or no appeal to next generation.

New regulations pushing veteran drivers away such as ELD.

And the general hatred of truckers by the public. They need to be educated about what truckers due, while getting a driver license for a car.

6. Thane

Thane Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2017
    All of this is very true. I'll add "truckstop food is garbage and will give you diabetes over the long run" and "drivers out there are maniacs, with anarchy ruling on the roads, so we NEED dash cams everywhere we go". I know I don't want to run 48 state anymore. Living in a truck for weeks on end, eating the food that's available at the T/Ss? NO THANK YOU. Don't want diabetes.

Canned Spam, Sogreen, 86scotty and 2 others Thank this.
  7. olddog_newtricks

olddog_newtricks Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2018
    There's no shortage of quality drivers. Just a shortage of people who are willing to be treated like crap while working for slave wages.

8. Oldironfan

May 22, 2017
    Add that the Milenials have no interest in trucking.

Veteran driver and deathB4decaf Thank this.
  9. deathB4decaf

deathB4decaf Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Also seems to me that it was drilled into us "college degrees are the only way to make any real money". My hubs is a plumber and he makes pretty good money and is happy. They approached these children with the wrong ideals.

Sogreen and tman78 Thank this.
  10. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    How you been driving man?

11. LateNightCable

LateNightCable Light Load Member

Feb 16, 2018
    I don’t know if there’s a driver shortage or not, I’ve heard there is. I’ve also heard you get paid like a slave in trucking (which makes no sense, as slaves don’t get paid). Also shiny new Peterbilts don’t fall from the sky.

All I know is that trucking feels like a mighty good career path these days, less than ten years removed from a recession that dumped a lot of people on their butts with little recourse. Yeah, you can have that barrista job college grad. I’ll try trucking, so at least if I do end up a slave, I can be one with the wind in my hair.

Lepton1, re3data, PostmanMJC and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.