The Driver Shortage Myth

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Thane, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    Closer to $100 in NY and Chicago.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Most of you are drivers, and one truck owners, try being a fleet owner and see what really is happening.

I used to run ads and I would get 100 to 300 applications in a month, and this was when there was a huge driver shortage a few years back.

As mentioned if we had one, we would see freight piling up on the docks - which we don't, we would see an average of $6 to $7 per mile loads - which we don't, and we would see more lowering of the standards of hiring by the FMCSA and congress - which it is just the opposite.

86scotty Thanks this.
  4. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    I am sitting here bored as all get out. So I will comment on this topic again. There is NO truck driver shortage period. (If there was company drivers would be making $1.00 per mile) What there is a shortage of is. Driver's willing to spend days, weeks, months, on the road. While being paid 1980's rates. Companies good or bad that pay their drivers properly. Do not have a shortage, in fact they have waiting lists. Lists of 10-15-20 year 1,000,000 or more mile safe accident free low csa a score drivers.

The driver myth comes from ata and ata member companies. Who refuse to pay correctly. Who offer a penny or two more and call that a BIG raise. These companies actually want people (mainly the govt) to believe this so called shortage exists. That way they can get more b1b visas to bring in foreign drivers. Who will live in the truck for 6-8 months. Then go home and live good "in their country" off of the 1980 rates they were paid. These companies also want to lower the it's del drivers age to 18. Because at 18 after working fast food or lawn care. While making $200 a week. These kids will take that big $600 check, and swear they landed on oz.

5. AlBig

AlBig Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Good comment

6. oldtrucker66

oldtrucker66 Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2015
    What do you mean, and where is the misplaced capacity?

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  7. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    Driver shortage equals lower wages and rates ...period.

Exactly what we need, 18 yr old males whose brains are not yet fully developed interacting w those of us just trying to make it out alive.

Good jobs are out there and perseverance will pay off. Those employers don't have to advertise or use CL. Look who old timers work for.
    Pay your dues, get your experience but most of all build a clean resume.
    You can find the money.
    It may not be a dream job but 100K+ each year when most don't pull half that is a start.
    It certainly is easier to put up with the bs we see every day when your being compensated fairly.

And the ATA...don't even get me started...smh
    My advice would be not to work for an ATA member company or to leave as soon as you can upgrade.

8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Many mega top brass leaders are on record stating that their goal (target) is for their average driver to log 2,300 miles/wk (solo or team operation driver). Think about that. Consider how much freight the megas collectively are responsible for and how much influence they have in “policy”

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I'm glad the school system promotes college and craps on the skilled trades. Means bigger shortage of trades people (which means bigger $$$$ in the trades).

Fold_Moiler and deathB4decaf Thank this.
  10. deathB4decaf

deathB4decaf Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2018
    That's why my oldest is going to the career center in our area for the last 2 years of high school. They teach the kids about all the different aspects of working.

11. Snoopycda

Snoopycda Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Edmonton Ab.
    Driver shortage equals lower standards then wages and rates because you get what you pay for.
    Far too many of the current drivers are just looking for a means to earn money and don't really care about being professional. We have over 100 drivers working out of this terminal and they run the gamete from knowledgeable professionals to the proverbial steering wheel holders. Some won't let you in their truck with your shoes on and others...... well, you wouldn't want to get in without your boots on, and they don't own the truck.
    The funny thing is, they all believe they know their job better than the next guy and management are morons.

Dennixx and AModelCat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.