The Dump in mass

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by BackwoodsGA, Apr 27, 2020.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    There are two truckstops I know of. One in foxboro, the original facility before it's eventual rebuilding to what it became later and a addition of huge amounts of parking on US1.

The other I remember also is what I call Amesbury. A diner, full bar, dance floor, two floor hotel, ancient fuel pump and what passes for a fuel store. It burned decades ago. A lawman usually parks there at night for quiet near one of the flare towers burning off gas near there. It was one of my secret parking spots up there for years after it burned. It depended on the lawman saying ok or not. No problems.

The old Foxboro was a good stop. Good people and the food. But eh... when they rebuilt it I think it lost a little something along the way. No harm done.

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Probably had to dig halfway to hell to get to clean dirt there lol.

4. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    From Readers Digest a qoute was made of welsh citizen talking about hell. She said Germany was foolish to send warplanes and bombers 4 times a day and night. Its silly and stupid. Why? because from her father who was a hellfire preacher roasting the poor congregation twice on sundays being in Cardiff City was not difficult in war. She has been in hell long enough to get used to it.

So the actual hell that waits some of us do not have any fears or scare, we have been there done that here in this life already.

5. BackwoodsGA

BackwoodsGA Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Elgin Nd
    Long time ago.

bzinger Thanks this.
  6. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i go back a long way....i just cannot remember all the details, just bits and pieces.

bzinger Thanks this.
  7. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    I thought I was the only one. Whew. Now where did I leave my beer?

buddyd157, Dale thompson and x1Heavy Thank this.
  8. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I think thats part of it.
    \
    Once in a while I go over a spot on google earth and #### its all rebuilt into something totally else. So much for that.

Take the stadium at Camden Yards in Baltimore. PRIOR to that structure was all yards for the railroad. We used to see if there were any derailed cars with a crew of little men trying to get it back on the rail with very simple tools. A wheel is like 60 ton loaded so... its a big job. With the tinest of jacks and small bars. HA....

But most of that is gone now. Its a ballpark. A rather nice one I should say, I hauled some of those bricks.

clausland Thanks this.
  9. clausland

clausland Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2014
    North Woods
    Good article, I see they mention @Chinatown in it too. I remember hearing about it, but I don't recall stopping there.

I used to hole up in a little place called Goodales, last exit in CT, right before the MA line on I-84 (used to I-86 back then). That place is long gone now too. It was a small "off the beaten path" place, served a real good breakfast, along with a quiet place to sleep. Most of the Stop n Shop, UPS, & Hannaford drivers knew about it, along with a few other guys.

There was a big pond there, at the bottom of the hill. One morning, someone forgot to set his brakes and his rig went down the hill, through the split rail fence, and into the pond. That created a little excitement for sure....

bzinger, Chinatown and x1Heavy Thank this.
  10. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I would be remiss not to mention another old stop up near Portland Maine. Its really the one stop of maybe two in that state. But there you have good food as well. At least it was in my time.

However in that part of the NE, what passes for a truckstop to me is a little tiny General Store with local food and treats and a patch of gravel under a mountain on that road near there. They would fix a little breakfast even if they had the time. I would not dare try to tell you where some of these are. Don't know if they are there today. Strictly one truck spots. Blocks the satellite too for a good night sleep under the random mountain.

clausland Thanks this.
  11. clausland

clausland Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2014
    North Woods
    For sure, there were a lotta small places like that throughout VT, NH & ME. I used to make note of them so I remembered where each was. For awhile I pulled log home packages on a skateboard all through those States.

I used to stop quite a bit at Dysarts in Bangor. Not sure how it is now, but back in the day it wasn't a bad place to stop. From Bangor to Calais on the "airport" road (Rte 9) there wasn't much to chose from that I can recall. From Millinocket up to Madawaska if you didn't speak Quebecois, you'd get funny looks.

I miss them days, seems everything was a lot simpler back then...

Dale thompson, x1Heavy and 650cat425 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.