The Food Service Rant thread

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by LoneCowboy, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Tankyank92

Tankyank92 Bobtail Member

Jun 23, 2015
    St.Louis
    Do you know if their pay is on the same scale as the others?

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Tony the trucker dude is a retiree from Golden State Foods he's on this board, you may want to speak with him. I would dare to say they are probably just as good as anyone else. A lot of McDonalds stuff and it depends who the supplier is, can go a lot of different ways chain restaurants are usually set up to take delivery a tad differently then regular mom & pop places. Like Golden State you may very well be using more lift gates and pallet jacks then ramp and dolly type of stuff.

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  4. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Colorado
    hmmmm, the assistent general manager pulled me aside (it's pretty dead saturday morning when I get back, only a few trucks being received and almost nothing going out, just people heading back in usually. most of the time the muckity mucks aren't even there) and told me how things were improving (specifically) and how we were making progress, etc, etc.

Unasked.

Maybe it's obvious that I"m annoyed (to put it lightly) and it's easier to keep people than train new ones. Nah, that's crazy talk.

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  5. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Canceling cancel culture/CCC
    How do most of you guys get paid? I work for Willow Run Foods out of Binghamton NY and we get paid by the mile and by the case. We also have a perfect truck bonus and on time bonus plus a $50 a day per diem. We have two, 2 day runs or city runs with 2 drivers which are 20 hr runs, 3x a week which is what I do.

The only day trips with 2 drivers are philly, boston, and nyc. I do the nyc run with 9 stops on 2 runs and 8 stops on Today's run. Leave at 4pm and get back around 11am-1pm. I usually gross around 1250-1350 a week, that's taxable income not including my per diem. I still think we're way under paid with all the bs we have to put up with but I can't complain I don't know any other 21 year old's doing 60-65k a yr

I used to have a lot to rant about but they fixed my route, it was averaging anywhere from 24-30hrs a run but the way they rescheduled all the stops it's about 20hrs on average. I still feel we're not getting paid enough for the bs we have to put up with, fast food service is hell on the body, I don't know how some guys at my company have put in 20+ yrs. We do wendy's, arbys, 5 guys burgers and fries, and few smaller accounts. but those 3 are our biggest

Rocks and Dominick253 Thank this.
  6. LoneCowboy

Oct 6, 2009
    Colorado
    our terminal (and every terminal is different) gets paid miles, pieces and stops.

(with some changes) it's 39c a mile. (all miles). Team guys get 22c a mile (all miles, you're getting paid while the truck is moving no matter if you are driving or not)
    Pieces are 28c each if you roll them in, 17c if you just bring them the pallet.
    stops are $3. (which adds up to zippo)

You get $31 for picking up a back haul. $1 a pallet if you have to load the backhaul (electric pallet jack, not a big deal, but it adds up, I do a cheese pick up, takes about 45 minutes for 6 to 8 pallets, that's $37 to $39 for under an hours work)

If I don't make AT LEAST $250 a day it's a crappy route. I've gotten two rather tough ones (that no one really wants because lot of work) but it's $300 plus a day. I"m averaging $1400 a week (gross) for 4.5 days, and about 55 hours on the clock.

It's all about the piece count in my opinion.

Rocks Thanks this.
  7. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Same here Miles, Pieces, Stop and flat rate for showing up.
    I make about I don't know average after taxes $800-$900 dollars a week not bad. I like it, it's the right fit for me I think.

8. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Alright I got one:
    Places that run out of room! Friday I had a stop and I have them every Friday and there usually pretty good, but I was in a rush and they had a typical order 80+ cases and I'm moving as quick as I can well they had 40+ cases most of the load going into the cooler and quickly started to run out of room. This is typical with most of these places they have crap all over everything is always in the way they know we come and they don't dare clean up or move anything out of the way at all. Anyhow sure as the day is long they started running out of room. No one dare stop to start putting things away though just let it all pile up in the way. So I ended up blocking there cooler door with some cases of lettuce.

I got scolded by them for that, of course they were running out of room and I still had 2-3 more wheeler loads to bring in and nowhere to put the stuff, really don't know what they wanted me to do. So then of course what really was the problem was someone there had to like do some work and put something away that was the true problem. You know and I don't feel sorry for them at all because there restaurant is a controlled environment they have total control over everything inside that kitchen, I don't have control over anything, but they have total control of how they want there space to work and how it's set up.

When I worked at the pizza shop when we got our deliveries we were on it we had two guys on it constantly putting stuff away. Alot of these places though just cram it all in to the point of they can't even walk in there own cooler or freezer and two bad. A lot of that though is these restaurants tend to over order. A lot of them are trying to squeeze 20 pounds of potatoes into a 10 pound sack. Any how this stop isn't bad, but it's like uhh were running out of room for me to put stuff and I still have more to bring, in do you think you guys could address this?

You chain guys probably don't run into stuff like this as much. Especially not when you're driving the pallet inside the restaurant and the staff is attacking it and putting it away.

Rocks, Dominick253 and Shaggy Thank this.
  9. LoneCowboy

Oct 6, 2009
    Colorado
    You would think. You would be wrong.

I can usually move stuff by myself with the two wheelers faster than most places can have three 20 year old guys put stuff away off the pallet. (really, not all, but easily 75% of the places are 3 guys 20 years old each (i'm in my late 40's) and at most they can do 250 pallets an hour. I can do that by myself. Some places have their #### together and I watched a place do 700 cases in 1 hour 10 minutes. I could barely bring them out fast enough (13 pallets more than half the truck))

I really don't know where many of these places put all this stuff. A lot of it is frozen and many of these places don't have very big freezers. I do a fast food hamburger place that is in a truck stop. It's unbelievably busy. Most places of this chain get 100 cases or so, twice a week. I deliver 250 cases to this one every Friday and I think the Tuesday guy is similar. It's a TINY store. I have zero idea where it all goes. I just bring it in and stack it by the freezer and most of the time when I get there, the freezer is almost empty.

My favorite is that it's just little old me wheeling in cases and it's like 2 or 3 guys putting it away. Wait, I'm doing the hard part here...... :)

Rocks, Dominick253 and Mike2633 Thank this.
  10. mpow66m

mpow66m Medium Load Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Northeast
    Just started w/ McLanes/We run to NYC,mostly 7-11s.,Hess/Speedways,Walgreens,Duane Reeds,Target,Fam. Dollar and Wally World.Its a LONG DAY and you work for every penny.

Shaggy, brtecson and Mike2633 Thank this.
  11. brtecson

brtecson Medium Load Member

Oct 4, 2006
    Congrats.. keep us updated on how it goes

mpow66m Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted