The Food Service Rant thread

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by LoneCowboy, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Here's my question about MBM that a buddy told me why he didn't want to apply. Do you have to run teams and is it running teams tell you get seniority? Like Mclane? Or is it solo from day one after training?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mpow66m

mpow66m Heavy Load Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Northeast
    I work for McLane and teams are for food service,grcery runs daycabs.i belive.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  4. Steven Wright

Steven Wright Bobtail Member

Jul 15, 2015
    I'm going to apply at MBM in a couple of weeks when I have hometime. Their adds used say walk-ins welcome, so I'm going to get a copy of my driving record and print a couple resumes and drop by. My current company gave me raise and they want to me to become a trainer. There are lots of pros and cons on both sides, I just haven't made up my mind.

5. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Cowboy,
    Is a real runner he makes my day down town in C-Town today look like child's play. I had I don't know 12 stops 315 cases or something like that and a grand total of 8,000lbs in the trailer (more and more Monday isn't the worst day of the week I mean it stinks that the weekends over, but it doesn't stink getting home at 1pm or before 1pm heck all the 9-5 still have half if not 3/4s of there work day in front of them by the time I'm getting ready to head back in.) I mean I got home just an hour ago. I had just a little over an 8 hour day today, but some of that was being at the yard in the morning and I went to get fuel after my route was done and parking my trailer in the yard and shunting a converter dolly and odds and ends like that.

It's cool and all while I might not get very much time off I do seem to get to go home early a couple days a week. So it's not all bad. Plus I get Saturday and Sunday off eventually I would like to be a transit driver and get out of sales-service there's only so much delivery madness one can take and after a full year of it I'm kind of over it, but right now things are okay for the most part so will just take it as it comes. Some days are longer then others, but it all works out alright.

Actually Friday they took pitty on me and my one big retirement home I have they put on another truck that's in the same area that guy had a helper though which is probably why. Anyhow Friday was cool I got back to the yard before 4pm! That hasn't happened to often on Friday. Anyhow Monday is done and my self and probably a few of you only have 4 days left tomorrows another day and will go give them heck tomorrow.

I tell you what heavy loads are best suited for the middle of the week. I would rather have my lighter days be Monday and Friday-however I would prefer a 20k Friday over a 20k Monday I can swallow a heavier Friday a lot easier then a heavy Monday ha-ha!

6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Colorado
    20k is a light load. :)

Steven wright, Denver runs teams and solos. New guy gets to experience all of it. But there are guys who won't run team and other guys who won't run solo. Plenty of work for everyone. Some guys do one team route and then one solo every week. Team pays better.

7. LoneCowboy

Oct 6, 2009
    Colorado
    Btw I worked 13 hours today (900 pieces 500 miles) . I've got 400 miles to go home (7.5 hours? ). I'll make about 600 bucks for that.

8. LoneCowboy

Oct 6, 2009
    Colorado
    yep took me 7 exactly. (you have 59 minutes remaining until your required 30 minute break says the enanny)
    including fueling the truck.

not bad.
    StevenWright, i can give you the recruiters phone number if you want and you can call ahead of time.

9. DonRobbie

DonRobbie Medium Load Member

Nov 26, 2005
    Midwest
    On some of our carrier units it is possible to set the compartments backwards (36 in the freezer, 0 in the cooler). Easy to do since the only way to tell which compartment you're setting is the little bitty C1 or C2 on the bottom of the screen. I've caught that a few times.

10. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    I only ever had a back haul once. GFS uses nothing but Thermoking and they have what's called a zone. Zone 1 Freezer and Zone 2 Fridge. There not all that hard to set really. You're right you do have to watch it.

11. Steven Wright

Steven Wright Bobtail Member

Jul 15, 2015
    Thanks for your help Lonecowboy, I would like the recruiters phone number. I noticed they stopped posting ads on craigslist. I would be fine working solo or team. Sleeping in a moving truck might take a little getting used to, but not much. Do teams actually make more money in a day or is just the same money for less work?

Another guy told me they do Olive garden, Red lobster, Del Taco, Denny's, and I can't remember the other ones. Do you do all the different chains or do they try to keep you on one while you learn product?

Have you ever gotten stuck in a parking lot somewhere? Whats the worst place you've had to get into? How close did you get? I tend to worry about things more than I should. Before I started trucking I worried a lot about finding parking but found that its no big deal.

Thanks again Lonecowboy, I'm sure we'll run into each other after I start.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.