The Fuel Hauler Thread

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Cali kid, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Cali kid

Cali kid Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    Hahaha ain't that the truth and hand drawn naked ladies.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Air Cooled

Air Cooled Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    San Joaquin? Off 99. Shoot, forgot what exit. I’d roll in there in my semi tank that just had some short rails on the top sides and a flattish top where the dome lid was. I’d spot the truck then pull out the spout and use the provided chain to secure it anyway possible as to not allow the pressure to have it come out during the loading. This is why most oil tankers have that painted black strip on the tank liner. The ones that don’t always have oil splatter stains.

The lube oil refinery for Chevron in Richmond still top loads. Right next to the #### SF Bay. Of all places. They are pretty organized and clean in there as you’d imagine. Roll out of there with a full load of ATF, 15w40, 5w20, and HYD68. I always liked hauling lube oil more than fuel. I welcomed those days I hauled that over gas. It was always a long run and you went to a jobber vs a station. Contrary to what most people on here say I loved running CA. Loved living there. 55 mph is cool when your paid by the hour. Minus the traffic it’s a gorgeous place when you get into the wide open areas of the 5, 101 etc.

Tangent over. This is the fuel thread. No mas cerveza tonight.

speedyk and Cali kid Thank this.
  4. Cali kid

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    Yup Joaquin off the 99. Boy that place was old school, been to Richmond Chevron as well that place was probably the cleanest lube plant. They had that big ol hydrologic platform that went all around the top of the trailer really nice setup. Best regional gig I ever had ran up and down the 5 all the way up to Washington.

Air Cooled Thanks this.
  5. Socomunist

Socomunist Bobtail Member

Aug 4, 2016
    Any Owner Ops here that can help me out with some advice. I have 2 truck with Landstar but i'd like to take one out and haul fuel. Only problem I have is that I have no idea how to get into this market. Me and my driver have all endorsments and exp required. Any help is welcome.

6. Woodys

Woodys Heavy Load Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    I was hauling for a company that had their hands in a little bit of everything. Small company, but really good people. I tried to stick it out, but just couldn't deal with the stress of OTR. Dealing with parking, different laws and rules for every state, shippers/receivers that are absolute trash in every way imaginable, etc.

I moved to Atlanta and went back to gas hauling. There are issues with any and every job. But I enjoy most everything that comes with hauling gas. Everyone is different though. I love shift work, and running the same roads.

7. HazmatTanker

HazmatTanker Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2019
    Hey @Cali kid. If I understand correctly you went from fuel hauling to cryogenics, right? I'm curious why you left gas hauling. Would you mind writing down a quick pros and cons to both gas hauling and cryo? Thanks

8. Cali kid

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    I left fuel hauling because at the time I was working for a private fleet and the company decided to get rid of alot of the reasons guys were there. No more 4 days on 3 off and no more paid overtime, this was even with being union.
    Back then the common carriers were making even less then us and I wanted to stay with a private fleet. So where I live that was either chemical or cryo. I've done some chemical but never cryo so I figured why not.

Boy do I love it, it's the cleanest non back breaking tanker work I've ever done with out nasty vapors or having to wear respirators and a chem suit. Also unlike fuel the application's for cryo are endless. From mom and pop welding shops, food processing, aerospace, tech, the military, medical field etc etc.

The fuel haulers have been getting huge raises the past two years as guys finally started to go into other fields.

bentstrider83 and HazmatTanker Thank this.
  9. HazmatTanker

HazmatTanker Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2019
    Do you have to work holidays like in fuel? Are weekends off more common? Also is the earning potential the same as fuel? Guys in fuel are topping out at $32 now.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.