The misadventures of a rookie tanker yanker

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Mortarmaggot, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Mortarmaggot

Mortarmaggot Heavy Load Member

Apr 13, 2017
    No idea what happened. They said they couldn't replicate what I was explaining, so they fixed the hub seal. I made an arrangement for me to drive and a dealer mechanic to ride along.

We took their normal test route. I kept it around 50 on the highway. As we neared the shop exit, I asked if he minded going a little further. He said drive until your comfortable.

Knowing there were a few potholes down the road, I drove to them. Poor guy nearly crapped himself as the truck shook so violently it felt like it would turn over. He later said that to my shop mechanic in Wilmington. He also said it was like the tires became square. He's lucky I took it slow or he would have had my same, " Oh ####, we're flipping over," moment.

Needless to say, I'm back at the dealer and the truck is getting new shocks and tires. Nobody thinks that's the issue, but starting somewhere has to be done.

BTW, the hub seal he replaced was broken from the violent shaking. It was fine when roadside looked at it. A couple of miles later on the way to the dealer, I had a bad episode which broke the seal.

Might be my third night in a hotel. I don't have to take the truck out anymore. They know what conditions they need to go find.

Edit: Just found out they're bringing in an engineer. Getting a hotel.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    OLDSKOOLERnWV Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nicknack

nicknack Light Load Member

Aug 3, 2013
    Hope you're not losing any money while they figure out what's wrong with your truck

OLDSKOOLERnWV Thanks this.
  4. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    X2

5. Mortarmaggot

Apr 13, 2017
    Don't make as much as when we haul, but my terminal pays us an hourly rate for 10 hours each day in these situations.

6. Mortarmaggot

Apr 13, 2017
    Still in, Nashville. Mack told me to not even bother coming in today. They had engineers check it out yesterday and it's getting the steer tires inspected and probably replaced by an outside shop.

The mechanic doesn't think that's the cause, but it's worth a shot. Hopefully I'll get the truck back in good shape by the end of the day.

My load as rescued today. A dirty tank was left for me to tank was once this all gets figured out.

Smut Thanks this.
  7. Lime Hauler

Lime Hauler Bobtail Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Middle TN
    Hopefully it will be fixed when you do get it back

8. ncdriver1

ncdriver1 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Sounds like the death rattle that Jeep's get. I think it has to do with the Solid Axle and worn bushings.

Slim51 Thanks this.
  9. Mortarmaggot

Apr 13, 2017
    A death rattle is an appropriate term. We've checked all of that stuff. It's going on 4 days, 3 mechanics in this shop, an external shop, and a Mack engineer. It was supposed to be fixed today so I went to test drive it.

Took a different mechanic who also has a CDL on the drive. Slowed to 45 to hit a small pothole. Went right back to the shop after he said his choice words about the violence of the shaking.

The big boss at the shop went out with the CDL driver after that. They came back shorty. The big boss now knows what's going on and says there's no safe way to drive it back to my home terminal. He doesn't know what's causing it, but now he understands that we weren't exaggerating the violence of the shaking.

I don't have to go back to the shop until they figure it out now.

10. ncdriver1

ncdriver1 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Let your TM know whats going on. Plan on getting a rental and cleaning out your truck and driving home, and expect to be reimbursed for it + layover pay. If you are near a terminal that has a spare truck you might get that, but I wouldn't sit all weekend waiting until Monday to find out.

Mortarmaggot Thanks this.
  11. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    There appears to be way too many guys interested in going for a ride and no one with the skill to properly diagnose the problem. Still don't understand why the truck hasn't been taken to a good frame/alignment shop and hung in the air for a proper inspection.

Mortarmaggot Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.