The misadventures of a rookie tanker yanker

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Mortarmaggot, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Smut

Smut Light Load Member

Jan 28, 2017
    Houston
    What is your truck governed at? I also like to start my day at around midnight or so for that exact reason.

Mortarmaggot Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mortarmaggot

Mortarmaggot Heavy Load Member

Apr 13, 2017
    65 mph, just like everyone's. I normally don't roll up so much money belt, but today was a good day of mostly flat roads with light traffic. Back east I'm generally happy with 500. Lol

I'll be rolling up a lot of money belt when I leave Colorado. If it's to Markham empty, miles will fly by on 70.

Smut Thanks this.
  4. Smut

Smut Light Load Member

Jan 28, 2017
    Houston
    I've had some 600 mile days in the east but only when empty and when starting around midnight. When loaded, the liquid can really slow me down quite a bit in traffic.

5. Ian2175

Ian2175 Bobtail Member

Dec 26, 2017
    Great read about your experience so far. I saw that you wrote there are mixed reviews about the Atlanta terminal. Is there not enough work around Atlanta or is it something else? Thank you!

Mortarmaggot and scythe08 Thank this.
  6. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    Hope for Pasadena Tx. They might even send you West. We used to have some loads in Sacramento that went to Brown Summit NC and Iowa City.

Lonesome, Mortarmaggot and scythe08 Thank this.
  7. Mortarmaggot

Apr 13, 2017
    Some guys say they only get short runs outta there. That hasn't been my experiences. Granted, I've only hauled from there three times. The shortest one was along my way home, so that worked out great. The longest was up into NY.

Oh, and some folks simply hate Atlanta due to the traffic, which is understandable.

There is a lot of Atlanta work. That's not an issue.

You know what they say about truckers and puppies.....

Ian2175 Thanks this.
  8. Mortarmaggot

Apr 13, 2017
    I am praying for Pasadena. That Texas terminal is great with some good loads. Would like west and back towards NC too.

I'm halfway unloaded, so I'm going to call logops to see what they want from me next. If they give me a choice....lol

9. Mortarmaggot

Apr 13, 2017
    And the winner is Markham, Illinois. It's running empty for tank wash, so I'll spend the night here and be in Markham Sunday evening.

Today has been mostly easy driving. (322 miles) Left the Loves at 0045 and stopped at the Flying J seven miles from my delivery. Spent an hour and a half there before going to deliver. Dennys grand slam is what it was.

Currently I'm a little over half unloaded. ( Arrived 15 minutes early)

Spending tonight at the J after an afternoon with the in-laws. Just a short visit. Might not even leave the truck stop, Denny's is always good with me twice in a day.

Will update when I get assigned another load, or something interesting happens.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  10. Ian2175

Ian2175 Bobtail Member

Dec 26, 2017
    Thank you. I live just outside of Atlanta. I understand the complaints about traffic here. I am starting driving school in 6-8 weeks and Superior is at the top of my list for places to apply.

Mortarmaggot Thanks this.
  11. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    You might want to call the Atlanta terminal manager to make sure the school you are looking at is on the approved list.

Mortarmaggot and Ian2175 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.