The new DDSVFO mod

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Night Stalker10, Oct 15, 2021.

1. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017
    I've never been too crazy over mods for CB radio, mainly because most mods aren't much of an improvement in radio performance to begin with. But this new DDSVFO mod is way above all other mods. I'm not sure I would install it on a cheap cobra 29, but I'm sure some folks will. I really like the looks it gives the Uniden Grant LT shown around 13 minutes in the video.

fairshake, weasel and Crude Truckin' Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. weasel

weasel Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Yeap that's Interesting alright...Troy Radio is in my home town of Troy Tx,.Toby is the owner.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    Night Stalker10 Thanks this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    The packaging is different but this mod has been around for a while (6 years) except for the display. The one I saw allows fm on the radio,

5. Night Stalker10

Jun 26, 2017
    That's what I understand too. I wasn't sure just how long this mod has been around. I'm not sure, but I assume this gentleman from Troy Radio maybe worked on the DDS VFO design to bring it up to what it is today? I think the scan feature was added in version 6.3 or something like that, but I could be wrong. At any rate it sure helps modernize an older radio. Nice looking mod too.

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I love these dds units, I’ve bought a lot of them for different projects. I had a few radios with very rare pll systems that were hacked, one was a Johnson ssb radio like a 4570 that they made 50, it was more like a ham radio triple conversion and separate receive and transmit strips. The original owner hacked the crap out of the pll system and it was dead when I got it. Bought a dds kit from some guy in Chicago with a nice display that was like a freq counter and it sits on top of the radio, it was an easy replacement, worked right away once I setup the output and it was a clean signal on transmit.

I have a nice browning drake mobile unit that has issues with crystals being off. So dds to the rescue.

Night Stalker10 Thanks this.
  7. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Something else to be goobered up by mr golden screw driver..

8. Night Stalker10

Jun 26, 2017
    You maybe right, I guess time will tell. I don't think most golden screwdrivers would have a clue as to what to do. Some will try I'm sure.

9. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Oh ya knows they are gonna fiddle with it to give more output and align ect ect ect...Most of them will not have the equiptment to tune it so that on sb and am will tx/rec deciently..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.