The PC build thread

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Dieselboss, Mar 5, 2020.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I have gone AMD a time or two. I am not particular.

Even today I think there may be a pair of Crossfire 5770 cards in the shelf somewhere, I nursed those for years. They were VERY good cards together in their day.

Whats really interesting is getting a state issued desktop with a 300 mhz cpu etc under Linux Red Hat. Once installed configured and settled for the system etc its turned into quite the little system. Instead of just a clogged trash box under windoz...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I hate paying high dollar if I can avoid it. I am known to nurse older slightly previously top end parts chosen for any given build. I do not seek say a 25,000 dollar Falcon Northwest build. Those are understood but you gotta have a LAN fast enough to keep up with it. OR a hell of a connection to compete at that level. Its beautiful, like a pretty woman for me to use a bad picture. But Its not my taste in money.

I mentioned somewhere recently That I have spotted some parts on sale at retail pricing that is a generation or two more than what I have now and cheaper to a fault. And runs the same or better. Which I like alot. I don;t know. We'll see.

4. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    One more thought with CPU's

When I selected my 6 core I was concerned with the approaching Nano sized circuts inside the chips a few years ago. If electricity had a physical presence in atoms the size of that must begin to exceed the width of the physical pathway built for that path on or off deep in a CPU chip. If you tried to get too small, you would essentially short it if you tried to push too much power.

5. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    No one wants to pay high dollar. Fortunately the selection and vendors are SO prevalent now that you basically pay for what you want the system to do. I remember paying $2000 for a Pentium 120 Mhz processor and 64 MB of ram system from Packard Bell which could barely play solitaire.

Today, you are looking at $300 to $3000 depending on what you are trying to do with it.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. CousinVinny

CousinVinny Medium Load Member

Jan 26, 2015
    New Jersey
    Yeah a lot more people went for the 5820K, it was getting most of the family's positive reviews at the time for the price/performance value but the lack of PCI lanes was a problem for me. I do a lot of art & photography work and have been running mine stock to keep it silent but when I build the new box later this year i'll probably jam a pair of RTX's in this thing and crank it up. Been dying to get into DCS World and VR.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    CPU Bus speed and PCI Lanes are a consideration in addition to total thermal load in wattage terms. 120 is my limit for heat purposes.

8. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    Same PCI lanes debate for me at the time. I am running a 2080 ti GPU with it right now on an Asus X99 Pro USB 3.1 motherboard and it still rocks.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I managed to install the bridge PCI express for older 2.1 PCI to bypass the new PCI 3.0 limitation and incompatibility with older PCI Cards.

Attached the firewire card to that. Works.

Attached camcorder to that.

Computer refuses to see corder because my software that pretends to do movies and videos don't have it. or see it.

The last time I could do this is Roxio 2012 when they deactivated the company stranding the program to nothing, lost to time.

So it's a partial success. Hardware is ok. The software will either have to be bought that is a full retail movie crap or buy a modern Sony Camcorder for a thousand dollars.

Debating the options at the moment.

I don;t particularly like the bridging that was necessary to accomodate a system of moving firewire etc. USB is availible but memory and optical sensor to it is essentially ####e. The optical lenses to Hi8 tape is much much better. So I think to lean to a new camcorder with a much better optical to flash memory...

There are days I am tempted to drop kick the computer. This would be one of them. And don't get me started laying awake at night debating the 32 bit and 64 bit conflicts... (Im running 64 bit windows 7 never mind it's lack of support.)

10. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    anyone have any new builds they've done lately?

11. CousinVinny

CousinVinny Medium Load Member

Jan 26, 2015
    New Jersey
    I think i'm out for building a new workstation this year. Did some more homework and sounds like Q4 2021 we'll see Intel introduce PCI 5.0 and DDR5 to the market with the Sapphire Rapids microarchitecture. Plus, by that time ATX12VO should be fully adopted.

I did just buy an X1 Carbon with the 10th gen hex core i7. Might get an eGPU for this thing.

Wasted Thyme Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.