The PC build thread

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Dieselboss, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Just a quick recommendation for those building an ITX tower for the truck like I did. You should probably put together a graphics card support to keep it from sagging and bending under its own weight but also under stress of road bumps. The cards today are long and heavy and only supported on two adjacent sides.

Dieselboss and Wasted Thyme Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    I was thinking I'd lay the tower down flat. Like an old style desktop. That way it'd not have any direct impact on it "hanging." But not sure if it will fit that way. Only time will tell.

Dieselboss Thanks this.
  4. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Standards like PCIe are released far in advance of adoption. I wouldn't expect it for a while. And ATX12VO is most likely going to be used primarily in data centers concerned with efficiency on a much more nitpicky scale than the average consumer. It's not coming to the average consumer any time soon. And Intel has fallen behind AMD, and AMD isn't stopping any time soon. Intel just kept releasing the same crap since Sandy Bridge and has been stuck on 14nm for 5 years. AMD is currently on 7nm and working on 5 and 3. Intel has also been struck hard by the constant stream of vulnerabilities, and the patches for them, have decreased certain workloads by half. The only place Intel still beats AMD by is single core speed, and only by a small amount, if at all in newer chips. Maybe Intel will finally start competing again when they get past 10nm, but they've got two years before they're able to at this point.

5. CousinVinny

CousinVinny Medium Load Member

Jan 26, 2015
    New Jersey
    Dieselboss and Wasted Thyme Thank this.
  6. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Wasted Thyme Thanks this.
  7. CousinVinny

Jan 26, 2015
    New Jersey
    PCI-SIG released the 5.0 spec in May 2019, at which point there were yet to have been any devices supporting a 4.0 bus on the market. AMD has current solutions taking advantage of the 4.0 bus speeds and Intel's recently leaked roadmaps indicate the specifications I mentioned will be coming next year. As for ATX12VO it's going to be the new standard that replaces ATX12V in all machines from desktop to server and workstation. In datacenters, every ATX/SSI based solution will eventually support the standard - as will every desktop and workstation.

Intel is currently playing games because they had a monopoly going since the Core procs hit the market. Reports are that the engineers are in pretty high spirits when discussing the upcoming trends and switch to 10nm manufacturing process. Only time will tell but I don't see an option, AMD is causing too much disruption for them to sit on their hands.

8. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth

Wasted Thyme Thanks this.
  9. CousinVinny

Jan 26, 2015
    New Jersey
    I hear ya, there's a lot of debate coming from the enthusiast crowd about the new spec.

10. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I don't have any new builds. I have been replacing all my hard drives with SSDs since they have got really cheap. I bought a 240GB SSD at BestBuy recently for around $50. Besides, it gives me something to do being isolated. Hopefully, when all this crap is over and I can travel I am going to the Atlanta metro area to Frys and get a new system to build.

11. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    yeah I hope you got m.2s for those SSDs. But the reason they're coming down is the next gen of m.2's are coming out.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.