The Plastic problem we all need to conquer

Discussion in 'Waste Removal and Garbage Truck Driver Forum' started by Zero Waste., Sep 12, 2018.

1. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Glass is available in small markets, and the yellow jugs are to keep light from oxidizing the butterfat in the milk, it is supposed to taste better. The plasticized paper cartons are also said to taste less cardboardy than milk from the clear or translucent 'jugs'.

Look at the substitutes, almost everything is packaged in opaque packaging.

We buy whole milk from Kwik Star (Trip outside Iowa ) in plastic bags because it does taste better to us.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I don't buy it. I'll admit it sounds reasonable. Someone took a shortcut somewhere.

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Milk in glass properly process is a treat. Always will be. Heck my tanker trailer hauling the stuff is close to being glass inside the linings.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  5. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Opaque to certain color is what the yellow is about, designed to absorb the light wavelengths which cause oxidation.

I haven't looked at any lately, but I have seen smaller plastic containers which were not clear or clear translucent. It was to address storage degradation due to light infiltration from dairy case and ambient lighting in the stores, the newer lights are worse for that.

Oberwiess sells milk in glass in Chicagoland, Lamer's of Appleton, WI, does as well, don't know about container returns, but some local dairies are doing that, yet, as far as I know.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    My employer runs a landfill and recycling plant. We aren't a global brand. Our recycling center is such a waste of everyones time/money. Unless you are strictly on a recycling route, Everything goes to the landfill or our demolition pit to be crushed and hauled by walking floor to another state.

Recycling is a feel good BS made up by a jobs program.

Plastic / Glass sucks and hard to sort. not worth it

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  7. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    I saw they tried to make pavement with junk in a few places,wonder how that held up.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  8. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    Remember the days before plastic bags and bottles. Kids could at least make extra money on deposit returns.

skellr Thanks this.
  9. NavigatorWife

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    They did have one program on PBS about the 2 liter bottles being used to make poly fill for winter coats. ONe bottle was enough to line one coat. I believe this was in China. Walmart was in with the deal there.

10. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Wow, you're oldddddd ddd dd.

11. NavigatorWife

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    Well 62 for another month. I also used cloth diapers on the kids because disposables were too expensive and didn't like that they ended up in a landfill and that was way before they started putting whatever the gell that is in them. I know some things are better now as far as pollution. If you ever were through Whiting, IN back then, it was terrible with the smell and they cleaned that all up finally. But there wasn't all the plastic floating out in the ocean like there is now. Milk still was in glass bottles with a deposit on them, wash, sterilize and reuse.

magoo68 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.