The Prime Flatbed Thread

Discussion in 'Prime' started by McCauley, Feb 6, 2015.

1. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I would call a recruiter and ask about the intermodal flatbed they have in Chicago. I'm pretty sure they use the lightweight trucks for those but I'm guessing hometime would be better.
    Screenshot_20170217-074939.png

PolishPrince Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PolishPrince

PolishPrince Light Load Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Chicago
    Im not that concerned about being home initially... but after a few years i would like the idea of being home weekends... Just wondering if this a remote possiblity living in Chicago...

How available and possible is it to go flatbed right out of the gate? Meaning doing TNT time with a flatbedder. Little birdie told me that getting into flatbed as a new hire is increasingly difficult?

4. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    The hard thing about starting out in flatbed is having an available trainer. Quite often they have people go out with a reefer untill someone in flats is available.

If that happens just make sure they don't forget about you and keep you out with reefer for too long. Big company problems; if something isn't right and your getting strung along, your talking to the wrong people. :)

For hometime I'd probably look around the industrial areas for places that are hiring and see what kind of experience they are looking for.

5. PolishPrince

PolishPrince Light Load Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Chicago
    But the comitment to Prime is for a year for training correct? I know i can leave early but then have to pay the difference of whats owed on training... correct?

My next question is... when does the 1 year start... 1st day of training or first day of solo cdl driving...

Really do appreciate the help!

6. cabwrecker

cabwrecker The clutch wrecker

Mar 23, 2012
    First day of solo driving I'd imagine. Just grin and bear it, remember it could be a #### load worse.

7. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I'm not sure what they are doing regarding leaving before a year. They have made some changes and I'm not current with them.

8. FullMetalJacket

FullMetalJacket Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Vagrant
    Your year starts the day you are officially employed, when you pass that test & get your full CDL.

PolishPrince Thanks this.
  9. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Screenshot_20170223-113621.png
    Threw tire chains in here in a rush to get them stowed somewhere. It didn't look like they had that much snow on them. :confused:

10. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Screenshot_20170302-093955.png
    This place waited till the loaders went home before telling me the load was ready. Tight place so there really wasn't room for both to be in there. It would have been nice to move that back a few inches so it would be possible to make uphill left turns, like stopping for fuel, without tearing stuff up on our "Reefer doing flatbed" trucks. o_O

Close one.
    Screenshot_20170302-094023.png

11. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Aparently you can't choose between new or used equipment when it's first issued/sold. They put together a pallet with a variable mix and that's what you get.

You can trade it in later, but not when you first get it.

Bud A. Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.