The Proper Dash Cam Choice, Setup, and Use

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Thane, Dec 10, 2017.

1. 417bigK

417bigK Light Load Member

Apr 5, 2018
    Southwest Mizzery (MO)
    I had a pretty decent inexpensive Cobra one that looped video recording so it never really ran out. It also had a gyro-type sensor so that if you were in a wreck, the force it felt deactivated it & saved the preceding video instead of recording over what you needed.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Thane

Thane Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2017
    That's the kind you want. One that will record automatically if it feels a jolt. But rough roads will make them record unnecessary video, which takes up space on the disk. The less space on the disk, the earlier it'll start writing over the oldest vids. So if you're in a wreck and get knocked out, hopefully you'll come around in time to shut it off. My Garmin records vid automatically every minute, but it's only temporary.

417bigK Thanks this.
  4. 417bigK

417bigK Light Load Member

Apr 5, 2018
    Southwest Mizzery (MO)
    Well mine is always recording. It shuts off when it feels enough force, therefore saving any recording leading up to the incident (in theory). I haven't been able to really test it to see how much force it takes. But I haven't had it do it yet, and I've taken it down some real shady backroads in a car with shoddy suspension here in the Ozarks.

5. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Every dash cam I've ever owned I've had to shut off the g-force sensor...doesn't matter how big of an SD card I put in it, it'll fill up pretty quick with useless videos of bouncing through potholes and rough sections of road. If I want it to save, I just reach up and push the button.

6. valerchekk

valerchekk Light Load Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Wanted to add my .02:

1. Buy a dashcam that has capacitor instead of a Lithium-Ion battery. Especially if you drive to Southern California frequently.
    2. Dashcam must record at least in 1080p resolution. Preferably in 60 fps.
    3. Buy a "High Endurance" sd card for your dashcam. Regular SD cards go bad after a few months of intense usage.

7. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    I run a Garmin Dezl Dashcam Gps. I love it, & it has saved my rear a couple times now. Great video quality day and night. Good audio too, but the shock sensor is to happy.

When i went from the Company’s Volvo to buying my truck i had to shut the shock sensor off. But otherwise i love it.

8. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Anyone ever tried one of the home security system camera sets in their truck? I was looking at a few and some of them are 12v with power bricks to convert to 110, so you could wire it right to your 12v system in tne truck. A lot of them have hard drive units so you could record 24/7 with multiple camera views so you could have recordings while parked at truck stops or where ever.

9. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Hello McFly!

Hammer166 Thanks this.
  10. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Don't overlook the amount of information properly set hood mirrors can provide. This is why finding a position that sort of replicates the driver view angle is worth striving for. Lower and near middle is generally better in this regard.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.