The way things are

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by southernpride, Jan 5, 2011.

1. southernpride

southernpride Gone But Never Forgotten

Apr 5, 2009
    orlando,fl
    now i think we all have sat around talking trash about how bad things are and how bad drivers are how cheap the freight is and the list goes on when infact the reson thngs are so bad is the driivers we makes it what it is , always have and probably always and it has been that way for years, nothing new about that either.

on occasion you will hear about how things were in the socalled good old days,well things wre good back then but we still had problems, drivers bad mouthing each other ,cheap freight , low pay, no money the lis t is about the same the only real difference is the equipment and that is much , much better BUT it cost more a lot more,now there a lotof old drivers still out here today you dont hear much out of them why , well because theyhave heard it all before and they have had enouth they just dont want to hear any more but you can bet theyare sillhere and still making money that can;t be made and as a matter of fact most have there own truck and trhre doing just fine i know im one of them,a nd as far as the guy thats says you can't do it well wrong again champ i do it every day with six tractors and trailers that belong to me and there mine all mine there not new but they make more money then most, fuel sure charge i dont even ask it's figured into the rates i quote seemsa to wqork out for me , but then again you wont find me sitting at a truck stop bad mouthing a driver or a truck broker and the older drier s out here are doing the same thing im doing making money not whining about how bad theings are, most of us have our own authority and set our own rates and do our own thing. most of us have forgotten more about trucks the most of will ever no,and it's my guess youqwou or most of you wont be out here long enough to learn.

THE NEW ERA
    now there is no doubt that things are bad out here today but it's been hat wy since the early 70's and we were warned back then to clean our act up or the goverment will well nbody payed an attention well guess what boys and girls the time has come with the new 2010 regs it has started.
    this business has always been based on free enteprise you will soon find thet that is a thing of the past the goverment is here and we will play hell getting rid of them, those few of you that think the goverment is going to make it better are iin for a shock it's going to get a lot worse the #### goverement cant even balance there budget in fact i don't no of enything they have done but screw up and imean big time .

but i don't work for a comany nor have i ever nor am i leased to a company so i should survive for a while, but just keep telling your self the goverment is great and tell yourself that while yourlooking for a job or you watchinh your tgruck go down the road on a hook.
    fre enterprise is till the best way to go.

my best to all and a lot of luck your going to need it , southrnprie:biggrin_25514:

Lilbit, Kansas, xlsdraw and 18 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Scarecrow03

Scarecrow03 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    Good to see ya back up and posting on here, SP.

4. josh.c

josh.c Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Knoxville, Tn
    My thoughts exactly.

5. Undoubtedly, in 25 years, someone will be talking about how bad it is, how you should NEVER go buy a truck in the current economy because O/O's just cant' make it. They'll probably also talk about the good 'ol days back in 2011!!:biggrin_2559:

One thing I'll never forget......I was sitting in a coffee shop one morning with my Grandpa, a 40 year O/O at that time. I think I was 19. I was driving on an in state CDL at the time. A guy was sitting by us and we were all shooting the ****, but this guy was mostly just whining about everything and how he just didn't know how he and other O/O's were going to make it. He finally paid his ticket and as he stood up said, "Well, it's all I know and it's too late for me to start over now. I guess it just is what it is."

After he left, my Grandpa nudged my arm and said, "Son, that's not true at all. Don't listen to that. It is what you make of it."

I've tried my best to follow that advice and it's always served me well.

6. rocknroll nik

rocknroll nik High Risk Load Member

Oct 18, 2008
    can't read the sign
    Southern Pride.....it is very good to see you're back here and thank you again for another good post! As always driver I'm keeping the hammer lane open for ya!!

xlsdraw and orion3814 Thank this.
  7. lynchy

lynchy Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2010
    off the grid
    Love reading your posts Sir!you've got what I would call the great American character,free spirit,don't let nothin'get in your way!regards from an interested Brit!please keep postin'!

xlsdraw Thanks this.
  8. teddy_bear6506

teddy_bear6506 I'm Vintage

May 23, 2009
    Between Valhalla and Hades
    You know I'm not a driver, SP, but I always look forward to and enjoy all your posts. So wonderful to see you back up and posting. Take care and keep posting, Sweetheart. ~Hugs~

9. Krooser

Krooser Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Only a bozo would talk fondly of the recession we are in right now... I lost my brokerage biz in '82 because I knew better than the guys who were telling me that it wasn't the right time to set up an office and go out and get freight.

When my 'ace in the hole' account dried up I lasted three months before I packed up my stuff and cleared my office... the other guys were right. They DID know more than me... should have listened.

I just don't make this #### up... if someone thinks they are going to beat the odds and prosper in this business climate without any practical experience I think they are in for a rude awakening... just like I got 29 years ago.

10. Saddle Tramp

Saddle Tramp Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2009
    laurel, nebraska
    great post SP, glad to see you back on. stay healthy

11. stepnfetchit

stepnfetchit Medium Load Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Monett MO
    Nice to see you back Southernpride. Missed you. Hope you are feeling better. Good Post, enjoyed it. Have a great day and take care of yourself.

uptownkid Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.