The white Volvo

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Hurst, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    My driver called me yesterday to tell me he was stuck in the snow. He pulled off onto an off ramp to piss and couldnt get going.

I called a wrecker service,.. they gave me a 2 hour ETA. I was not very happy.

Driver calls me back 20 mins later and said some eastern euro guy in a white volvo pulling a reefer pulled him back on to the road. Said truck after truck just drove by,.. this guy stopped and asked if he had any chains?

So say what you want about those guys. This guy did me and my driver a solid.

Hurst

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    I just saw that guy drive by!

Grubby, kylefitzy, Woodys and 2 others Thank this.
  4. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl

Probably his wife's brother's cousin,.. twice removed.

Hurst

5. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    My first time in Chicago, I was surprised to see the whole "white Volvo" thing was true.

That said, I don't care where someone is from, so long as they work hard for their money and not try to cheat the system. We are all drivers out here, and we all need to look out for one another.

I follow the Twisted Truckers page on Facebook and it surprises me how many white guys will jump all over other truck drivers for the tiniest of mistake, and would rather take a picture/video to post and shame them, rather than just help them fix the problem.

I've done my part helping when it's needed, and try not to brag about it. If everyone were just a little bit more compassionate and helpful, the world would be a better place.

6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Did you have to pay a wrecker fee. Boss keeps saying he has to pay something even if he cancells. But I've learned not to pay attention to most of what he says.

Grubby, Oxbow and magoo68 Thank this.
  7. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    I’ve noticed on Highway Thru Hell that those european guys are being shown in a much better light. Some seem to be very helpful.

8. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl

Back in the 80's when I first got my start,.. you almost never saw a truck on the shoulder or somewhere alone,.. there was always 1 or 2 guys who stopped to give the guy a hand.

I had a flat tire,.. guy pulls up behind me. Asks if I had a spare. I said yeah but I dont know how to take this one off. He broke it down for me,.. showed me how to get the other one back on. Made sure I put the wheel back on right and everything was tight. You just dont see that any more today.

I do what I can,.. be it loaning my tools to a guy at a truck stop. Give away my spare hose or a block of wood. Jump starting someone. Pulling someone out who is stuck. Just pay it forward,.. takes what,.. 10 - 20 mins of your time? Small price in the grand scheme of things.

Hurst

9. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    No,.. I called an canceled. They had not even dispatched the truck yet.

Hurst

Grubby, Oxbow, snowwy and 1 other person Thank this.
  10. Ristow

Ristow Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2014
    Fema Region 5

same here. while back a guy had the wrong fuel filter,he had a 1" thread and needed a 3/4". i had the one he needed. he gave a handfull of diesel scented dollars even tho i told don't worry about it,lol.

also got a guys 3406E going after it ran out of fuel. he didn't know about the primer pump. he was pretty happy to avoid a several hundred dollar service call. he tried to give me like 80 bucks. i took like 40 cause i could see he was like myself in that i was gonna have to take something for the troubles.

Grubby, Feedman and Hurst Thank this.
  11. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    They cheat the system BIG time. That's where to term "Chicago 10-99" company comes from. And ya they aren't all bad. I actually was flagged down by one a couple weeks ago at a rest area in Pennsylvania as I was exiting 80. He was in a similar situation as @Hurst driver and needed a pull because he sank down into the grassy area on the shoulder. I tried for about 30 minutes to pull him out but he had just sank himself to far down so it wasn't working. He needed a tow. But even without getting him unstuck he wanted to pay me for my time which I declined. As much as I'm not a fan of the white Volvo I'm always for helping another driver in need no matter who they area.

Grubby, ladr, farmboy73 and 5 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.