The white Volvo

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Hurst, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    This is what I always say when someone offers me money for helping them.

I remember one time, back when I was stranded in a winter storm, the guy parked beside me asked for a boost because his truck was dead from using the bunk heater overnight. I said I didn't have any cables, he said doesn't matter, I do, just need a set of batteries on a running truck.

I'm like, okay? Turn the truck around in the spot, line up our boxes, hook em up, let his charge for a bit, starts up after 15 minutes. Guy tries to give me $50, says he would have paid more for the tow truck. I'm like, we're stuck here anyways, just keep it and pay the favour forward to someone else. We're all in this together.

I'm always checking on drivers stuck on the side of the road on the CB. Usually they just stopped for a load check, but I always ask. Sometimes I truly do believe I was a truck driver in a past life. All this stuff just comes too naturally to me.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rogueunh

rogueunh Road Train Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Cell phones have led to this. Everyone always assumes help is just around the corner due to having a phone.

Kind of a funny story. A few weeks ago, my alternator died in my car, tried to make it home but came up about 5 miles short. On a back road, my wife goes driving by, slows down, waves and keeps going. She saw me on the phone, and assumed I had just pulled over to take a call lol.

Grubby, stwik, OLDSKOOLERnWV and 5 others Thank this.
  4. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    That's right^^ Dont assume.

Some drivers (Like Myself) Do Like to "Budget" themselves, (Why I've been a financial success over the years) Instead of calling a tow truck,m Some of us Just want help, If They Break Down without paying $200-$500 for a Shop to arrive

Ive Learned to Fix virtually Anything that would put me on a shoulder, besides a Mounted Spare With a 12 ton Bottle and 3/4 gun I Also carry............

Fan Belts-Hoses,Clamps, Alternator AND 39mt Starter A Few Caging Bolts and Tons of Fasteners and Clamps- I Don't keep a Chamber Cause I'll Just Cage till I Get Home and Hope Im not Far

Grubby, Hurst, rogueunh and 1 other person Thank this.
  5. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    Funny!!!

6. mtoo

mtoo Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Retired on bended knee
    Talking about old time drivers helping drivers out: Here is a different spin on it.

Way back when I first started driving, I was headed home empty and got a flat on the steer axle, didn't have a spare, so I called the boss to get a service truck. He says whats the problem, I explain the situation to him.

His reply was; The truck has a lug wrench doesn't it? yes
    The truck has a bottle jack doesn't it? yes
    There's a 4x4 on the deck, right? yes

Then he said I'll see you tomorrow when you get back to the yard and hung up. It took me a while to figure it out.... But I finally backed the trailer on the 4x4, singled it out, put the trailer tire on the steer, put the flat in the tire rack and headed home.

I learned a lot that day at a young age. Think, think, think then think some more before you give up.

Oxbow, shogun, NoBigHurry and 9 others Thank this.
  7. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    Indeed. It seems some of these guys are more American than most of us. The Sihks stood tall during the ELD protest too. I had an issue in Georgia last year and the only guy that bothered to help me was an Hispanic guy with very broken English. Everyone else walked right on by me.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    Oxbow, Feedman, Zeviander and 3 others Thank this.
  8. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    That's how my first boss was. Sink or swim. You either wanted a job and were willing to work for it or you whined and cried and got tossed to the curb. He would tell me to be a man. If I couldn't handle the responsibility then find another job.

I owe much of how I work today to that man. Here I am, almost 30 yrs later and I still carry respect for him.

Hurst

Feedman, Zeviander, mtoo and 1 other person Thank this.
  9. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Indeed. It so much upsets me when I see ignorant idiots mistaking Sikhs for Arabs, pointing fingers at them saying some stupid ####. I spoke with one Sikh at length some time ago, he asked me for help to pull start his truck..... he was out of California and his son was in the Air Force flying jets. Nice man, very wise and open and patriotic. I declined any money, just told him to do the same to someone who would be in his similar, unfortunate situation. His boss, to my surprise, called me later to thank me. I thought it was very nice of him. I am from Poland, driving a White Volvo. I live next to Elk Grove Village, IL the capitol of White Volvos.

10. Opendeck

Opendeck Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2017
    What's the difference between an Arab and a Sikh?

11. Sipesh

Sipesh Medium Load Member

Apr 3, 2014
    Colorado
    Arabs are from the Middle East, and Sikhs are from India. They follow Sikhism, not Islam.

stwik Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.