The white Volvo

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Hurst, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Opendeck

Opendeck Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2017
    So they're the same. They're from "over there".

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    I always holler at a big truck on the side of the road, especially in bad weather.

I can’t remember where it was up north but I do remember the temp was well below zero. I came up on a truck on the side of the road with the flashers on and a guy peeked out from around the hood and waved at me. He didn’t have a jacket on. I hit the brakes and pulled over.

Come to find out, he pulled over to check something rattling and got locked out—no phone or nothing on him. After trying various keys I had, we couldn’t get in, so I gave him a ride to the truck stop.

It’s the reason why I always stick my phone in my pocket now before exiting my truck.

diesel drinker, Feedman and DSK333 Thank this.
  4. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    Is that the same as, “not from around here, are ya”?

5. Opendeck

Opendeck Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2017
    Yup

Strangers are strangers. Good enough for me without all this new "labelling" we got going on. I can't keep up with the new words we're suppose to use "so we don't hurt their feelings".

6. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Arab is an ethnic background, i.e. people descended from a family that originates on the Arabian Peninsula (Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Oman, etc) and Sikhism is a religion (that originated in the Punjab region of Pakistan/India). Anyone can be a Sikh, in fact, they encourage followers to marry outside of the religion.

They've also been a very prominent force in the history of India's military and take defense of the innocent very seriously (they carry a ritual dagger with them at all times as a reminder to always defend the weak and those unable to defend themselves).

Like with any ethnic/cultural background, I've met people on both sides of the behavioural coin. Sikhs are no different. Some are honest, hard-working people looking to make a life for themselves in a land free from corruption and hardship (political corruption is a massive problem in Pakistan/Punjab), and others are disingenuous, entitled lay-abouts that think the world owes them something.

It confuses and disheartens me to see people I know and appreciate assume that because they had a bad experience with one person, they write off an entire group of people.

1johnb, Feedman, tbac and 3 others Thank this.
  7. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    Do you drive with your left foot on the dash or is that an Eastern European thing? Just kidding! I have much respect for Poles. They are a beacon of light for all of Europe at the moment. Seems like they're the only country with any sense over there right now. I also have much respect for those that learn our language. It's not easy and those who do should be respected. It's that spirit that once made this country great. Hopefully, it never dies.

Oxbow, Feedman, tbac and 1 other person Thank this.
  8. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    Ethnicity is chosen. Race is not.

Feedman Thanks this.
  9. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I think it is a Volvo thing.. But I don't, I have too long legs, I would not be able to see my ...left... mirror.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    Oxbow, PPDCT and DSK333 Thank this.
  10. flatbedsv77

flatbedsv77 Bobtail Member

Feb 22, 2015
    Homer Glen, IL
    He was probably an old timer or taught by one. The days of truckers looking out for each other seem to be long gone. I’m glad to hear there are still a few of us out there! The rest of you buy a cb turn it on and help each other out!

Oxbow, whoopNride and DSK333 Thank this.
  11. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    Very true. The megas and their driver mills don't want their drivers helping others out. Sets them up for potential litigation and such.

flatbedsv77 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.