The WORST Lease Purchase Agreement I've Ever Seen

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by TurboTrucker, May 8, 2005.

1. whispers65233

whispers65233 Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2006
    Boonville, MO
    Amen to that! JB Hunt is no better! 6 months after the fact we are still trying to get straight. In my opinion Lease Purchase Agreement = bankruptcy.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jpwtrucking

jpwtrucking Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2006
    Orlando,FL
    I got out of Prime's Deal before it was too late, I am not sorry that i was at Prime, but with the rising cost of fuel,incidentals, etc bankruptcy was inevitable if i continued

company driving for me

4. dechiknhaulr

dechiknhaulr Bobtail Member

Sep 12, 2006
    PackRat, that deal with Tyson is so-so, at best. If you intend to buy a truck, get your hands on a reefer some kind of way and get on that produce coming out of your area.

I've seen loads coming out of Nogales that paid $10500 to the east coast. From what I've been able to find, $6500-$8500 is the norm.

If you get serious about it, I can give you some contacts to get you loaded going back west. One broker I've talked to told me they can give me all the Ca. loads I can handle.

5. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    I'm not planning on buying a truck anytime soon, I don't even drive anymore. I figure most places you lease your truck to are probably so-so at best anyways, you just have to find one on the better side of so-so.

Though it would be an adventure to get my own "AUTHORITAH"!
    [​IMG]

6. dechiknhaulr

Sep 12, 2006
    You dont need your authority to get started if you stick to produce and chicken. Get some money put away, then go ahead and do the authority deal to open up a few more options.

The way produce is paying nowadays, I figure I can take up to 2 months off in the summer (slow time for produce) and still make good money.

I'll let you know how that works out in about a year...:smt102

7. Boilermaker

Boilermaker Light Load Member

Sep 29, 2006
    FedEx looks pretty good, if I ever have to get back to OTR I'd definetely check that out.
    One big thing about being your own boss... you need to OWN the truck. If your making payments on it you already screwed yourself. Buy the best used truck you can get for cash. Truck payments will eat your profit like crazy. In the 14 years I drove I never had a truck payment. Always paid cash, bought a dirt cheap used Mack when I was 18. Ran it until I could get a better truck. Not paying interest is great. Without that huge truck payment it's much easier to absorb increased fuel prices or sudden repair expenses.

8. dechiknhaulr

Sep 12, 2006
    That might be a good point, but what happens if your pick turns out to be less than reliable?

9. sidman82

sidman82 Bobtail Member

Oct 11, 2006
    I've owned an 87 Freightliner classic. Paid $7000 for it. Ran it for four years. Only had to change a starter and batterys. Always maintain your vehicle. You can buy a two to four year old truck and spend alot of money and it can blow up the next day. My current truck cost me $22,000 and I will be happy with 3 years out of it. Just look good and check out your truck very carefully before you buy.:smt001

10. kennyk

kennyk Bobtail Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Are there any good lease / purchase stories out there ??:smt100

11. ReeferMadness

ReeferMadness Bobtail Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Camp Hill , PA
    Don't get me started on lease purchases LOL im a living example they are not a real good idea in general i leased from a company called arctic express about 7 years ago and it was a living nightmare to say the least, i even had IRS issues over them, since then i have made the smart choice to drive someone elses headaches, i advise if you really want to own a truck invest some time into looking for your own truck not a companies truck that has been leased out 15 times in the last year good luck in your search!:happy3:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.