Theres got to be a good lease program

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by thelinedriver, May 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thelinedriver

thelinedriver Light Load Member

Dec 24, 2017
    Please leave a comment if you know a lease purchase program that works. I know some one knows a good one .. .. Somewhere

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    If there was such a thing, you would be put on a very long waiting list.

4. thelinedriver

Dec 24, 2017
    Maybe it's a well kept secret? Or maybe it's not great but obtainable. Maybe it's not for everybody? Just one out there somewhere has just to be good

5. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    If I were to "lease purchase" a truck, it would be through a place like Lone Mountain. No way I would go through a company that controls how the truck is ran. Too many horror stories about folks getting close to the end of their contract just to be starved out it. JMO

6. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    From what I've read and heard sammons program isn't nearly as bad as the others.

kbarttt and thelinedriver Thank this.
  7. thelinedriver

Dec 24, 2017
    I will look into that.

8. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    There's a reason over 90% of lease-purchase drivers never gain actual ownership of "their" truck...not in the company's best interest to let it go! You fail, they "lease" it to the next sucker. He fails, on to the next. Meanwhile, they get their freight moved without ANY expenses of ownership, and without having to care if the driver is earning a decent wage. Because they still own the truck and expect to get it back, they're going to limit who can work on it, what modifications can be made, and even which shops are "approved" for service and repairs. Adds to the cost of "ownership" for you, since you're prohibited from doing anything but driving the truck, but preserves the value of the truck for when they eventually take it back.

One other cautionary tale, if the company is in tough financial times, they may even borrow money against "your" truck, in which case even after you complete the terms of the lease, you STILL won't receive the title because their bank is holding it as collateral. If the company goes bankrupt, you'll have a long and drawn out (and expensive) legal process in order to try to get the title...and the whole while THAT is going on, you can't put the truck to work (no title, therefore no registration) AND the bank is trying to locate it for reposession. Don't believe me? Happened to a bunch of unfortunate drivers when Arrow (out of Tulsa) went under. Google it.

If you want to drive your own truck, save up or get a bank loan so that your name is on the title from day 1. If you want to drive somebody else's truck, be a company driver.

9. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    The company I am leased is only o/o and lp, no company drivers. Many of the drivers in my lane did complete their lease purchase and now the truck is theirs. The downfall of our lease purchase isn't that the freight will dry up near the payoff, but there may be mechanical problems the carrier will decide that it's not worth fixing, and put the driver in a different truck, starting from scratch.

I know these drivers who paid off their trucks are doing ok. Many of the o/o on this lane have nice trucks, so the money is there. Just making $50,000 in payments on a $30,000 truck, and losing all that because they don't want to rebuild the engine sounds like a risk I wouldn't want to make.

thelinedriver Thanks this.
  10. bigdad7

bigdad7 Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2010
    ks
    Good lp is kind of like a clean hooker it looks good until you are all the way in ....,once your in there there is no clean way out

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  11. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Hermes37 and polo king 92 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.