They must ban "cpm" and "piecerate" pay

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Northeasterner, Jan 7, 2020.

1. jeastonjr

jeastonjr Light Load Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Weymouth,Ma.
    If median and average driver (non-union) pay matched what drivers earned in 1970s a driver could afford house and family.

The driver / O/Os in the 70s made a great income compared to the cost of living.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Northeasterner

Northeasterner Medium Load Member

Apr 1, 2018
    No, us UPSers and the Fedex folks don't chain up because dispatch is timing us and hassles us if we don't get going fast enuff. I'm one of the few guys in my terminal who does a fairly comprehensive pretrip, same thing I did when I was OTR except now I'm securing cargo in the trailer before I slam the door... and I *always* get sh^t from management. "We want you out in 15 minutes, 30 minutes, why are you taking an hour to secure, hook up, pretrip, clock onto P&D, and go?!?!".

Some bad confrontations over applying placards once... yelling match in the office cuz a mgr didn't want to give me some soap so I could clean off part of the trailer an apply the sticky placards cuz the flip-metal ones were broken.

Hourly works. But workers MUST stand their ground, and obey the law. Hooking up a set takes me 40 minutes. Granted I've only done it a dozen times so far, but to find the trailers, get a dolly, position the dolly in front of the tail trailer, hook up tractor to lead trailer, bring that over, back it up, hook everything up, pull forward and do a complete DOT pretrip, then fill out tractor, trailer, and dolly inspection sheets... yeah that can take up to an hour!

And you're right. MAYBE the govt' shouldn't require all this pretrip stuff... maybe mgmt should be responsible for pretrips and when accidents happen, the manager gets the legal blame instead of the driver. But for now, most guys hook n' book, and I take the time to do it properly, and get constant crap for it. Most folks go along, to get along, and when they crash, management will immediately and hypocritically blame them for not having done their pretrip.

But either way, if all trucking jobs paid hourly management would HAVE to take the fight to the government and INSIST the govt justify all the rules that you say encourage bad practices, because mileage just lets them pass the regulatory burden (justified or not) onto drivers.

At least corporations have the politicians ear. Us drivers really don't. Not to the same level.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  4. Doealex

Doealex Medium Load Member

Feb 21, 2018
    Or your banker makes a switch ;)?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    jamespmack Thanks this.
  5. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

He really cant. I'm now trucking debt free now.

6. Doealex

Doealex Medium Load Member

Feb 21, 2018
    We have bankers at home too :glasses10::(!

jamespmack Thanks this.
  7. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    I hear dutchsche bank new motto is "If you cant find lower rates, we will take are own life".

Havent used them yet.

BryE Thanks this.
  8. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN
    How high and mighty are you?
    /s

For the record, I didn't even have "only a high school degree" until I was 32. That never held me back and I never wanted for a job. Heck, I even found work in places where the 'educated' swore there were no jobs to be had.

At 32 I applied for a job that required att least a GED. "What the heck", says I, so I walked into the local testing hall and asked what the fee was.
    "Have you taken classes?"
    Nope
    "Don't you want to study first?"
    If I'm not smart enough to pass this without 'studying', I don't deserve it.
    7hrs later, I have my Good Enough Diploma.

Lots of folks are 'smart enough' to go to college but see there isn't really a NEED for it. I've done just about everything under the sun for employment and never needed a degree in underwater basket weaving to do any of it. A person can be intelligent and learned without a piece of paper saying they are. Many people have framed paper proving intelligence that can't even change a tire.

Northeasterner and bryan21384 Thank this.
  9. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    I am guessing the OP is not familiar with many other industries that pay employees some sort of incentive arrangement in their wages. The most obvious is wait staff at restaurants. Hourly wage is a small part of the money they make, tips are the largest portion. And almost every good waiter/waitress I have ever talked to prefers the present method, as opposed to the $15 minimum wage being bandied about lately.
    Other examples are sales commissions(new/used car salesman) many inside/outside sales positions are heavily dependent on the commission portion of the wage. Most higher executive positions have various stock options/perks tied to their performance which dwarf their salary. I guess we have to pay them an hourly wage also.
    And we haven't even begun to scratch the surface of the "independent" contractor such as all the UBER, LYFT, DoorDash etc and many others.
    He has a lot of laws to change.

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  10. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Ive worked at very well paid hourly jobs... Very well paying percentage jobs... and good paying cpm.

I make WAY more on cpm than I ever did anywhere else... For every hour that I'm actually "working" I make on average a little over $23. Thats before any additional stop pay or bonuses

You show me any company that will agree to pay me that much per hour to drive a truck.

Even if you count every single hour from the time I leave home until I get back home (minus sleeping hours) I average about $13 to $14 per hour... And I run clear across the country and back each week.

If trucking became an hourly job it would pay federal minimum wage... Maybe slightly more.

88228822 and tarmadilo Thank this.
  11. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    You knew about each and every one of the things you listed when you took the job... If you want paid SPECIFICALLY for those items why are you driving a truck... CPM covers ALL of those things.

Hell, I even wrench on my own truck on the road... Even tho the company doesnt require me to or expect me to... Why You ask?? Because IT MAKES ME MORE MONEY!!!! If I'm sitting waiting to have my truck repaired for several hours I'm not making any money, but if I get my ### out of the truck with some tools and fix the problem I can get back to making money FASTER than waiting for someone else to do it for me. Each run pays a specific amount, cut and dry. It doesnt matter if I do it in 9 days or 5 days... It pays the same amount. So I opt to do it in 5 days... So that by the time the driver that takes 9 days to do the same run is finishing 2 runs, I'm already getting ready to do run number 4. Same run, same pay per run... But I make nearly twice as much money in the same amount of time as the lazy guy that gripes about not being paid to fuel the truck.

88228822 and BryE Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.