Think about becoming a trucker

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Kdub99, May 8, 2019.

1. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    If nothing changes, in 10 years we will still be fighting rates like we are now... brokers dickin the rate down so bad that guys are double brokering loads, fighting over loads that go for .97 cpm, guys wearing flip-flops... the list goes on and on

Rideandrepair and x1Heavy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It has not changed in my lifetime. Still the same BS 0.35 mile pay, 1.20 rates and so on.

Rideandrepair and OldeSkool Thank this.
  4. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    I get you, tech has improved but so has the capacity in the industry. Back then you could take care of your family on a truckers salary, now you would be lucky to feed yourself on it.

I’m an owner operator and probably you are the same, my cost just to run my rig is up to about 0.95 per mile, tell me how I’m going to feed my family on the current rate average of $1.40 per mile.

Not complaining I’m getting things done and with the grace of god I have kept the roof over the family and food on the table, but in no way am I living comfortably.

Yes the rigs are better but rates have gone south. Maybe not for you but us newer owner operators are having a tough time fighting our way into the good brokers when we have a million plus $1 mile drivers in our way.

Rideandrepair and x1Heavy Thank this.
  5. TorontoTacos

TorontoTacos Light Load Member

Oct 14, 2018
    This isn't the job I thought it would be. I think I made more money working 2 security gig Jobs in Toronto and I got sleep in my bed every night

x1Heavy, TheStopSignGuy and magoo68 Thank this.
  6. Kdub99

Kdub99 Bobtail Member

May 8, 2019
    I know its not the same as it was 20-30 years ago but I still feel like its something better than Im doing right. Right now I am working 6 days a week 8 hours a day with a hour drive to work and anoyher hour back home. And I make around 22 to 2400cdn a month. I feel I need another way to make money.

7. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    You won’t make that starting out. Pay is in the toilet, companies don’t pay when there’s imported labour doing it for pennies. Unless you luck into a well paying gig right off the hop( and there’s not many of those) your making good money and will have a skill set that will provide for you well into your retirement. As a new driver, they will run you like a zombie. 14 hour days, 8 off, then 14 again. You got it good, stay doing what your doing. Seriously.

8. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    There are trades that require both. Like lineman, or railroad signal maintenance or construction. All of those are work that is mostly wiring but incidentally requires a CMV license. Click to see what a Brandt Truck is to get an idea of the kind of stuff the railroads use. You'd also get experience operating equipment like track/back hoes and loaders in some locations.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Yea, but you’re still in the first year, and Highlight is better than Bison or TransX, but it’s still bottom feeder General Freight. (Tandem Van/Reefer).

LTL guys, it’s the place to be. Just hit my 3rd year driving, and I’m getting some REALLY good job offers now. Those 1-2-3 year milestones are big ones. Love the place I’m at, like family almost, but we’re talking a 40k/yr (O/O) raise and better lanes/home time just because I have 3 years with keeping my record clean.

I still envy @upnorthwpg , he’s the LTL linehaul king!

Canadianhauler21 and upnorthwpg Thank this.
  10. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Don’t know about king, but I make a good buck!

BigHossVolvo Thanks this.
  11. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    Dude I'm 22 years old and really had an itch for trucking throughout high school. Decided to go through with trucking and it took me 3 years after high school to finally settle down with a company. It's not the greatest job in the world, I still love it though.

I plan on getting out while I'm still young, just gonna do 3-4 years tops before I get outta here. Even making 4-5k Canadian a month isn't much considering you spend majority of your time on the road. I have no social life, no family life, no hobbies, nothing.

Electrical will do you good in the long run, I'd say get your CDL as a backup but don't rely on trucking as a lifetime career. Working 60-70 hours a week definitely isn't for everybody.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.