Thinking about buying

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Charles masterson, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Figure out what tank company you are going to lease on with, see what trucks their lease ops use and go from there.

At the very least, check out large tanker companies and see what their choice of truck is. Those trucks will have been chosen based on suitability and economy, not on brand (or what passengers might like riding in).

Look at trucks for sale that most closely match what the fleets choose.

stuckinthemud Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Charles masterson

Charles masterson Bobtail Member

Feb 20, 2020
  4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Sounds good to Me. Mileage is relatively low, being its 4-5 yrs old. The upside is quality of interior, and a good quiet ride. Downside is parts are sometimes expensive and hard to get. Even being in the Freightliner network. Check out the WS forum, familiarize yourself with the common problems. I owned a 92 WS. Totally different Truck. New ones since 97 have some unique features. Mainly the bunk construction. It’s a honeycomb, panel. Air pockets sandwiched between 2 panels. Makes for a well insulated bunk.

5. Charles masterson

Feb 20, 2020
  6. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
  7. Roguefox

Roguefox Light Load Member

Jun 18, 2013
    I have dt12, works great no problems. I would never use it to haul a tanker tho. The pause when downshifting would beat the hell out of you. I have heard a true automatic trans doesn't do this but I haven't used one personally. If I went back to tankers I would get a good 13spd.

8. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    The Allison 6 speed automatic is a true torque converter transmission and it works just like the automatic in a car. No pause between shifts, just peak torque gear jamming. Downshifting was kinda jerky so probably still not good for tankers.

Company I used to work for had them and they were rocket ships. Going by the dash mpg readout, they weren't any worse on fuel as I thought they might be.

Sirscrapntruckalot Thanks this.
  9. Sirscrapntruckalot

Sirscrapntruckalot Road Train Member

Ha!

I did the same thing at first. Had to do a double take.

My first thought was "But Charles Manson is dead..."
    My second thought was 'Who taught them how to use a smartphone?'
    My third thought was "Man...the Ouija Board business is going to take a hit, time to buy stock in Samsung and Apple."
    My fourth thought was "Bacon would be good right now."

To the OP....good luck in your search. You got some good advice above.

Take your time, do the research, and get what you need vs want. You can always customize the interior yourself to a degree I'd imagine with a little more research into such projects.

Sirscrapntruckalot - Bacon.

10. Charles masterson

Feb 20, 2020
    Thanks everyone. The search is still on.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.