Thinking about Con-Way

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by Wade73, Jul 17, 2014.

1. iraqralph43

iraqralph43 Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    No Crete trucks have an APU....they have a battery pack that runs the bunk ...heat/ac....no inverter over 400 watts

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wade73

Wade73 Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Springfield, IL
    LOL...I haven't seen those paint jobs yet. Soounds embarrassing. How is home time?

4. CargoWahgo

CargoWahgo Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Louisville, Kentucky
    There are around a dozen out here I'd say.

I've pulled the white guy with the dog /the grinning black man trailer.
    And the woman with glasses curly hair and giant horse teeth.

Aye yiyi bet she hated that on there lol.

Home time sucks.

Go somewhere else if you want any of that in length or on time.

Standard 1day off for 8 out.

I get mine on a Tuesday.

You do!!! However get to bank those days and use however many you want.

They don't expire as of now.

Been using more this year in case they wanna try and reset them or some crap with pay change. Have over 50 banked up.

5. zackery2011

zackery2011 Light Load Member

Mar 3, 2014
    Grand Prairie, Texas
    Con-Way is great for newbies. EXCELLENT training! They don't run it team style. Do it side by side and a longer period than most companies. They make sure you know what you're doing and don't just throw you into the wolves. Bad training would end a career quick. Most of the workers you deal with over phone are friendly. Not all, but most. Sometimes it can be slow to get them to "cater" to you and listen to you but that's because you are new. Just hit the 3 month mark so they probably see some potential. Usually by 3 months they see you can handle the driving (high turn over by ppl who find it hard), by 6 they see you are a better driver and figured out a routine. At 1 year mark is when they start treating you like a driver and not a newbie because if you reach the year mark you are more likely to stay and they want you to stay. Fyi don't expect huge checks at first. Newbies get the "older" trucks- still not that old, but you will end up in shop. Also when you're still learning you are still learning so you take longer and short yourself on pay. (3hours to back when you could of used that time to drive). Try not to take home time at 1st. Roll as much as you can at least to have some money in case you do end up in shop. But those are the only negatives really, but aren't really- most companies I hear are terrible. Also if you approach a Con-Way driver most talk about the company positive. Oh and only using piolets and flying js can be a pain, but you will learn to manage fueling so you don't run out (get the piolt ap and make sure to fuel up before going to the middle of nowhere even if you have 3/4ths). Company doesn't yell at you for little mess ups or being late as long as you are honest and tell them early. They stress safety a lot. So sometimes they can annoy you with it, but that's a GOOD thing. Like it a lot here.

6. lowgear14

lowgear14 Medium Load Member

Jun 1, 2014
    You are constantly running here at Con-way Truckload, and their length of haul is usually really good, but overall, I am completely satisfied at Con-way Truckload. You do not do a lot of sitting here, but when you get to a terminal, you may sit a little bit while they find you a load, but for the most part, I never have to sit for very long period of time without a load. As long as you run hard, and use your time wisely they usually do not say anything to you. They do in fact stress safety here, and you will hear it on the QualComm everyday. If the roads are unsafe. Shut down, and keep your dispatcher advised when it is safe to start rolling again. Most importantly, always keep your dispatcher in the loop about everything that is very important to you. Such as if you need to get home for a doctor's appointment, etc. I would suggest as soon as you can to get a GPS, because they can help you find a safe haven to park, so you can take your break.

hal380 Thanks this.
  7. Wade73

Wade73 Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Springfield, IL
    Thanks for taking the time to write those lengthy responses. Lots of good information! Sounds really positive. Con-way is definitely in my top three right now along with maverick and prime.

8. purpleprime

purpleprime Medium Load Member

May 30, 2013
    spickard, mo
    Talked to a buddy today that said Conway just did a company wide pay increase

9. lowgear14

lowgear14 Medium Load Member

Jun 1, 2014

Apparently, you have not read the horror stories about Prime. Maverick on the other hand. If you like to get out in the rain/snow and fold tarps. Knock yourself out, I prefer to run, instead of sitting there folding tarps, putting down coil racks, and everything pertaining to flat bed. I like the idea, I can secure my load very quickly, close the doors, seal it, and get on the road rather quickly. Can you run 4,399 miles in one week time frame by wasting your time with tarps, chains and binders, coil racks? Prime, and Maverick do not pay by the honor system, and that is you get paid for the load before you deliver it, and you scan your paperwork in, so they can bill it out.

Prime is one of those companies that will talk you into a lease agreement. If you are fresh out of school, I would not recommend any lease agreement. The way fuel prices are this day and time, and heaven forbid if you need to go home for an emergency, and be in the hole on your truck payment per week, and it takes you several weeks to get out of the hole. A lot of people are victimized by someone lying to you about leasing a truck. I have heard of the horror stories that you are at least 2,000 dollars in the hole, if you go home, I don't know about you, but I want to be able to go home and see my family when I can and not have to worry about a truck payment coming out, or fuel I have to buy.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
    hal380 Thanks this.
  10. CargoWahgo

CargoWahgo Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Louisville, Kentucky

News to me... Details?

If not your buddy deserves a nut shot .

Alot of freight yards went from 18.50 to 22.00 hr this year though. Might be what he's talking about.

double yellow Thanks this.
  11. purpleprime

purpleprime Medium Load Member

May 30, 2013
    spickard, mo
    He said just this past week 2% I'm sure that's not a lot he works out of the quadcities some where

CargoWahgo Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.