Thinking about giving up

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Mototom, Apr 3, 2020.

1. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I wish I had a nickel for everytime I heard this story. Jobs are dime a dozen ( I've already turned down 2 local jobs AND a heavy equip. job) Get out before you kill yourself or someone else. Takes a while sometimes, but you'll hook up with a good job, because you know what a crummy job is like now. Good luck, this virus crap will pass, and it will be full steam ahead, you'll see..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Intermodal companies are on the verge of bankruptcy due to ships not arriving in the ports. Owner-operators running intermodal are already shutting down because fewer ships arriving at the ports. Some ports are not accepting empties because they're out of storage space due to not enough ships unloading and picking up the empties to return to the countries of origin.

4. Oor

Oor Road Train Member

Jan 11, 2012
    Turn ringer off on phone during sleeper break. Then call them when you wake up.

Need to take my own advice, btw. Broker at Echo woke me up one hour early at 0030 just to make sure there were no "issues" for pickup.

What I said on the phone after that, can't post here.

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    United States deaths from COVID-19 so far:
    Updated Apr 4 at 12:32 AM local
    Confirmed
    Deaths

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I ruthlessly silence anything and everything. When I am asleep none of that company crap gets through.

It will wait until morning.

That was adopted after a cheery safety message chirped one night as I drifted off dead tired. Cheerly talking about being safe.

I knew then and there those chirps and devices are going to get buried. I will get my sleep. =)

7. Dixiegypsy

Dixiegypsy Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Dude your license is really valuable, you dont have to put up with anything you dont want to. Go to bed, mute the Qualcomm, turn your phone off, take some tylenol pm, eat a good dinner and sleep for 16 hours if you need to. All anyone ever said to me when I did that was, What time will you be at the shipper?

8. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    The HOS Laws while most of us don’t fully agree with them and they don’t work perfectly are there for a reason. Use them up and you can’t drive anymore. Driving at the rate you claim, 600 miles per day at 65 mph, you’ll probably average about 58 mph, you would use your hours within five days and then they have to back off. You shouldn’t burn out in five days. Yeah you’ll be pushing it for those five days, driving maximum hours taking a 10 hour break exactly and starting up again, but it goes by quick. Stay on duty when unloading and loading and fueling and stuff a little bit here and there and you gobble up some of those hours and then they can’t ride you that hard.

9. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
  10. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    And money dont grow on trees

11. Mid-May Trucker

Mid-May Trucker Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2018
    Are you telling truth about 16 hour day you know that is illegal and you gonna get put out of service
    Im also confused if you working 600 miles everyday that should be 1400 a week after tax which is pretty good
    As of 5 pm start time did no one tell you it was a night shift position?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.