Thinking about giving up

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Mototom, Apr 3, 2020.

1. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Working 16 hours a day isnt illegal only driving is . I have been on duty many times for 17 hours in one day and it is not a violation unless u go on drive line

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LDLWells

LDLWells Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2019
    I see you've learned the lesson that you should only believe about 5% of what's said here. Unemployment might jump to 30% if things get really bad. Better learn to cut that ringer off and get some sleep

4. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    I've done that too. Lol.
    I was actually up trucking at 0330hrs one morning and my phone rang.
    I answered and it was some desk jockey doing a random "check call" to determine load status.

It was not pretty.

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    CDL A & B Drivers | Trillium Staffing
    https://trilliumstaffing.com/hire/people/positions/cdl-a-and-b-drivers
    CDL A & B Drivers. With over a quarter of a century of experience in , we can find you a qualified CDL A & B Driver with experience specific to your industry and project . Are you looking for a Job? Find out what Trillium Staffing can do for you.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Turn off your phone when sleeping, put your qualcomm in a cooler or wrap it in a sleeping bag.. Sleep is your time, no exceptions. If you ask your dispatcher if you should be available 24/7 his answer is ALWAYS "yes". Don't ask dispatchers questions they are not qualified to answer.

Rideandrepair and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. kptnt2016

kptnt2016 Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2018

I would knock on the door at J&L contracting. They are a big outfit in missouri. But not a mega carrier.

USA truck is out there to.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  8. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    You may need to educate yourself on worldwide activities currently if you don’t understand that statement. I don’t blame you on not wanting to drive all night, but sometimes you got to do what it takes. Many truckers that don’t haul foodstuffs or items to keep necessary industry going are sitting at home as we speak. This very likely could be the worst time in many of our lives for a job change. You are in charge of the vehicle you are driving and it goes no further when you are fatigued, (IE aren’t safe to drive) hot load or not.

Just passing by and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  9. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Trucking has always been long hours.For years everyone accepted it and looked the other way. That’s why the pay scale is so low. All the regs, mandates, and rules still put the Driver last on the priority list. Still working for free. Current events highlight the reality that without workers, nothing gets done. Hopefully conditions will improve across the board soon. We need to start taking care of our own. Right now, the only thing that affects Drivers pay, is the minimum wage. Think about it. Maybe Trucking isn’t your best choice. This is exactly why many don’t stay with it. Not to be discouraging, but in order to make a decent paycheck Trucking, it takes long hours. I don’t see $30 hr. 40 hrs a week anywhere. Even Local jobs aren’t paying overtime till after 50 hrs. You want to be compensated for your time. Get a Trade like Plumbing, HVAC, or Electrician. Or keep Trucking, and expect to work long hours, if you want a decent paycheck. Nature of the Bussiness. I doubt it will ever change.

bryan21384, nredfor88, x1Heavy and 3 others Thank this.
  10. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    You won’t get one today, but many of your LTL local jobs are $25-$30 plus at full scale and many do pay overtime after 8 hours. There are a handful that do after 50 and very few that don’t pay overtime.

11. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    It depends on where you live. Local LTL w/ ot after 8. Working 5 days 60 hrs week, is ideal. $25 hr. @ 70 paid hrs. $1750 gross. Good Luck finding that. Maybe 30 yrs ago, but very hard these days. Unless you’re willing to move to the right city.

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.