Thinking about going lease purchase..any feedback appreciated

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by TenSeven, Feb 17, 2014.

1. bjiceland

bjiceland Bobtail Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Alabama
    All of us started with no training. The one that thinks he/she knows it all then that is the day that person needs to get out of it all. Then go do something else. I started trucking in 1975 --ever day is a learing experiance one can never know it all! -- Just an old truck driver/mechanic

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Harley Charlie

Harley Charlie Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Warfordsburg,Pa.
    you guys miss the point. today all u need is to call Keven Rutherford and buy his books and a scan gauge go to his CMC and become a master contractor and wall la,you are a successful owner operator before you ever put a load on.dont worry be happy

joseph1135 Thanks this.
  4. bjiceland

bjiceland Bobtail Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Alabama
    Why do I wont to do that all I need is a ca275---calculato--wal-mart cheap

5. Preacher Man

Preacher Man Road Train Member

May 31, 2008
    Mason City, IL
    Has anyone ever noticed that companies want someone to use their own truck to train their drivers? On the 12th of March I will make my last lease payment and at that point I have a $12k buyout on the truck. That means I am at the point of deciding where to go from here and I am looking at expanding from 1 to eventually about 5 trucks. Now if after all I have gone through to finally own the "Blue Lemon" outright I can't bring myself to put another experienced driver in this truck, why would I want some wet behind the ears newby leaving transmission parts on the highway just so he can work for someone else?

Let me echo the comment about not chasing miles. Depending on when and how you fuel, it is possible to make more on 1800 miles than 2100 miles. This is just one example, another is that you come to hate headwinds and love tailwinds. The dispatchers at the company I pull for hate the owner/ops because we won't go east and we won't pull hazmat. The company doesn't pay any kind of premium for either and so we tell them to go fly a kite. We are out here to make money not run a charity.

When you get this kind of attitude then you are getting close to thinking like a business owner and then you should think about getting your first truck.

6. mattbnr

mattbnr Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Tama,Iowa
    Pissing off the people who give you the loads to run your business doesn't exactly seem like a brilliant strategy either.

7. Preacher Man

Preacher Man Road Train Member

May 31, 2008
    Mason City, IL
    What is funny about the balance of making the company happy versus making money is that the company I pull for offers a free business course for all new leasers. One of the chapters in this course talks about load selection and how there will be constant tension between you and dispatch because many of the loads they want you to take are unprofitable for an owner/operator. Many of the dispatchers who have worked with o/o drivers for a long time understand this. The problem I have is that the board I'm on has both o/o and company drivers. What is interesting is that my miles shot way up when I got into the last 3 months of this lease. I mean they almost doubled.

8. TAC12

TAC12 Light Load Member

Jan 27, 2014
    North GA
    PreacherMan,
    Whom do you work for? I'll take all your east runs, it's where I live. That is if your not speaking of North East.....

9. Dinomite

Dinomite Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Looking 4 Rocks
    Sounds like Prime to me.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.