Thinking about it!

Discussion in 'Werner' started by FireFighter_02, Mar 23, 2016.

1. FireFighter_02

FireFighter_02 Light Load Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Keystone heights, fl
    Hello,
    After talking to a few people I know personally and watching hours worth of YouTube I think I may want to give Werner a chance, however only if I get a dedicated account such as a dollar store, Home Depot, Walmart, whatever as long as I can get better home time than Otr. I have my CDL but I haven't drove since 2014, when I graduated trucking school, Werner doesn't seem to be that bad, I think it's just what you make of it. I think the guys that rant are the ones that got fired or just like to ##### about everything, who knows. My main question here is as a new driver could I get on a dedicated account? And would Werner pay for a refresher if they required it?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Straight Stacks

Straight Stacks Paper Cha$er

Jul 18, 2015
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    Only two questions to ask yourself:
    1. Do I like Chicken Flavored Ramen?
    2. Do I like Beef Flavored Ramen?

sgt50, BostonTanker, Bakerman and 3 others Thank this.
  4. FireFighter_02

Mar 28, 2014
    Keystone heights, fl
    From what I understand some of the guys running dedicated family dollar are making good money at 1000-1300 a week! So I don't think I'll be eating ramen on that coin

5. Straight Stacks

Straight Stacks Paper Cha$er

Jul 18, 2015
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    You mean, "From what you hear." By all means, go find out for yourself. That account FYI has one of the highest rates of workmans comp claims next to Dollar General. But, whudda I know.

BostonTanker and Mudguppy Thank this.
  6. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    From what I hear, those Dollar accounts are 100% driver unload, with some assistance from the store personnel. Tight getting in, and out with a tractor trailer. Most stores are inner city, in less than desirable neighborhoods.
    It would seem to me there are much easier ways to make a buck or 3. But whatever works for you.

7. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
    I thought the reason they were called dollar accounts is you will only have a dollar in your bank account!

8. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Where do you live at? A lot of carriers offer pretty decent regional pay with weekend home time options... I trained with Werner in 2001, left as soon as I had experience to do so. If you want to handle freight reach out to LTL carriers, Werner would only get the Dollar General bid if they were the lowest bidder-which means you'll not be paid as well either.

9. FireFighter_02

Mar 28, 2014
    Keystone heights, fl
    North Florida. But without experience will I even hve a chance?

10. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    I would look into Abilene. John boy has a thread on em'. Work there a year or so and then get a good local position back home. I would rethink that family dollar deal.

Straight Stacks Thanks this.
  11. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    A lot of LTL carriers offer free cdl training. Southeastern for example lets you start on the dock while training in a yard, strong wages once you become an pu/delv or linehaul driver. Tons of otr companies offer training, just find one that fits what you want to do after training. Just hit a truck stop and pu a couple hiring magazines, or use a driver recruiting website. See who all is hiring in your region, how long the training program is, and regional opportunities they offer if you're trying to get home weekly. 100's of companies out there, just find your fit.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.