Thinking about Werner? Don't do it!

Discussion in 'Werner' started by DeepC, Feb 10, 2007.

1. knightbringer

knightbringer Light Load Member

Aug 28, 2007
    macon, ga
    Was in Florida, outside Jax at Pilot or TA. Had parked and everything and was just laying down when this car carrier near me needed a little extra space to get out. So I moved the truck, I drove around the TS to get back to where I was and proceeded to park back where I was. I took about 15 min for the entire process. However, my paperless log system (which is some bullshoot) recorded my movement, and put me on line 4. Which meant I would have to start my 10 hrs over again and I would be late to my pickup. I called in to the Log Department, they said that I shouldn't have moved. I said I am not as butthole like that, the man needed a little more room, I gave it too him. The truck didn't change locations, I was still in the same area. But numbnutts says that there was nothing he could do 'cause the truck moved, changing my duty status and causing the entire 10 to restart. I said this is some bull, man. However, the only trick I know of that gives a little advantage is this: The paperless log system doesn't log to the next 1/4 hour until 7 mins after the last 1/4 hour. So if your break is up at 10 am, you could actually begin moving at 10:07. Sounds small, but over a day or week it adds up.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. johnday

johnday Road Train Member

Something similar happened to me on hometime last week.

This POS they issued me has had starting problems since the day I got it. So, when on hometime, I have to start it up and idle it for awhile, or it won't start when I go back to work. [Repeat process every 8-10 hours]. Well, the wonderful log system said I moved my truck, and logged me on line 4. The POS was never moved a 1/4". So, had to hassle with logs "again" over the halfbaked system. I just love it!!! NOT!!!:biggrin_25521:

4. tichdaddy

tichdaddy Light Load Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Dallas, GA
    Hello all,

Newbie here with less than ideal MVR. Lot's of "NO's" from "good carriers"

So far got 2 prehires. One from Werner, the other from Covenant.FFE is a "maybe".

Listened to both recruiters presentation at CDL school.
    Both seem to have their good points.

Werner recruiter Jim Tower (Georgia mgr.) explained Werner really does care for their drivers and gives them every oppty.to be successful. (paperless logs, qualcom, co. paid EZ pass/pre pass, quality trainers, newer tractors, all kinds of divisions to drive-dedicated, local, OTR, SE regional, reffer, etc.)

Touted fact that paperless logs/qualcom has next load ready & waiting prior to dropping current load, increasing efficiency and miles per month as well as less time doing paperwork. Werner has way more trailers than tractors, meaning more loads avail. more drop/hook etc.

Said don't be miss guided by other carriers higher cpm as Werner has the miles and frieght on consistent basis to "keep you rolling".

Overall seemed to make sense to me.

As for Covenant, recruiter boasted fact that as new driver I would team and split ALL MILES truck rolls during training. First 6 months .17cpm/THEN $2,500 retention bonus. then nxt 6 mths .18cpm. Then stay as team or go solo.

Covenant seems to have better equipment. But for some reason I feel that Werner would be a better overall choice. Werner has been the only carrier that has given me unconditional approval from day one-no problems, very accomodating.

I've heard very bad and some good about both Werner and Covenant.
    Questioned both recruiters abot some bad news I've heard on sites like these, and they said there's always going to be unhappy people, no matter what.

My unemployment benefits should pay 100% for my CDL school, so I would be free to leave either (Werner or Covenant) after 3-6 months. Seems more carriers will take me at that point. Like Crete, Marten, etc.

Also Swift will take me as of 3/25/08, when 1 moving violation drops off MVR. Good thing, or no??

After reading threads on this board, it's hard to know which carriers are really good and which are'nt. EVERYBODY seems to have a horror story to tell from every carrier from A to Z.

If I am dedicated, have the desire and honestly do all I can to achieve, surely I could last 3-6 months with either Werner or Covenant right? Got to start somewhere.

Heard good things about Crete/Shaffer-but need 6 months exp. first.

Any helpful advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

5. knightbringer

knightbringer Light Load Member

Aug 28, 2007
    macon, ga
    That's on you dawg. My experience was different and leads me to be so cautious about my next company that I almost get paranoid about it. Werner, from my perspective, was full of it. The paperless log system is good for the ease of pressing 3 buttons, and you have logged yourself, but, if you are down for your 10 and that truck is moved enough that the computer catches it, you will be automatically moved to line 4 and your 10 is restarted. As far as plenty of miles go, most of your loads will be split at the various dropyards scattered about. You will rarely get detention if stuck at a shipper or con and they will try to get you to be a trainer after barely 6 months. You will spend a good deal of time searching for the holy grail (empties). Also, if you have a question or problem it will take forever to get it answered or resolved. Maybe my experience isn't typical, but enough drivers on this site have enough bad experiences to scare me away if I were considering going to them. Chose carefully, the wrong choice can leave you will a blackmark on your dac or worse.

6. LadyTrucker99

LadyTrucker99 Heavy Load Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Lexington, NC

If you have mvr issues then do what you have to do- Put in your 1 year service and then you should have no problems with a better company later on. It will make a long year but in the long run it will pay off. Good luck to you!

7. tichdaddy

Dec 12, 2007
    Dallas, GA
    Thanks for the advice.

Probably end up going with Werner after I graduate CDL school.
    Werner has been a solid "yes" from day one and despite all the negitives I have read, seems like lots of opportunity for a new driver with less than perfect MVR.

Covenant has given me a prehire and FFE should be good after I graduate.

Conway/CFI recruiter said wait to see if state of Ga. is paying for my school before they would give me a yes or no. Sounded like I was OK with them though.

Stevens recruiter first said no, then "when can you start training, then no again. Sounded like she just wanted her bonus and did not take the time to investigate my MVR enough. Very frustrated with her to say the least.
    Too bad as I've heard some good things about Stevens training and how they treat new drivers.

Will find out in a few days if state of Ga. will pay for CDL school through unemployment benefits etc. I'm thinking (hoping) they will. If that's the case I can hang in at Werner for 3-6 months, and move on to another carrier with no loan repayment holding over my head.

Thanks again for the encouraging words...

8. LadyTrucker99

LadyTrucker99 Heavy Load Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Lexington, NC
    If your on unemployment they should pay for it i would think. The main thing with Werner is to watch your logs carefully. Those things get screwy sometimes but they are not too bad when you get used to them. Like i said before--i only had minor issues with werner. I never had any pay issues with them--not payin what they were supposed to. It was mainly minor stuff. When you go into a terminal to get stuff fixed dont plan on bein in and out though. Your gonna be there a while. All in all--i am sure it could be worse places to start with--no names mentioned. No matter who you choose to go with--Good luck to ya!

9. tichdaddy

Dec 12, 2007
    Dallas, GA
    Ladytrucker,

Thanks for the kind words, and for sharing past experiences.

I believe I can make it with Werner.
    I am dedicated to putting my all in this and am approaching it with an open mind, ready to learn.

Central Refridgerated has accepted me also, so yet another option.

Thanks again...

10. There's a system they recently put in where you can check "I am going a short distance for: A-meal B-rest... etc. I'd never used it while with them, but supposedly it covers things like that. Years before, the system was set up so that you could drive a short distance (under 7.5 minutes) and it would round DOWN in the 15minute block system.
    When I went back to Werner (BIG mistake) They told us in orientation that under NO circumstances are you to drive knowingly in violation. The orientation....er Even went so far as to say that included driving to a safe location... his words: "We'd rather send a driver or tow truck than have you run over hours." Has to do with the Cody Lords incident probably.
    Now? There's almost NO "slush" in the system. The system as I understand it, updates every hour. If you're truck shows more than a quarter mile difference between updates, it'll send you to on duty. Crap, I don't think spoofing the system with foil will work either. Blocking the signal tells the system to line4 automatically. When this happens you have to submit a log correction. A person then looks at your truck's position, mileage, etc and compares it against what it showed before loss of signal. If there's a difference, you're pooched.
    Is an issue I had with the company, but at least you no longer had dispatchers trying to take advantage of this in order to run you illegal.

11. Dunno bout every state, but Washington (state) WON'T pay for schooling just by being on unemployment. I had to take my former employer to court just to GET unemployment. Spent the next few trying to get em to finance trucking school... Finally ended up getting privately funded.
    She's got a point though. Werner's reputed to be one of the worst out there, but SOME people seem happy with em. If not? Stick it out a year, and you'll surely be able to find better work. Experience and longevity are key to working in the industry. Good luck!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.