Thinking of going LTL

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Buckeye91, Oct 2, 2013.

1. FEELTHEWHEEL

FEELTHEWHEEL Medium Load Member

Oct 19, 2010
    EL Cajon C.A.
    Might want to check out Air Freight companies, big city to big city. That will keep ya movin. In and out of the truck a lot, with fair amount of driving. 200 plus miles a night.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Elendil

Elendil Heavy Load Member

Mar 27, 2011
    Ottawa, IL
    You forgot the largest one of all.

4. ACH1130

ACH1130 Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    YRC was the largest, still possibly is...

But ABF isn't as big. YRC, FedEx, Con-Way are the biggest right now, and UPSF is catching up with them. Still fairly new so it will take time

5. chris886

chris886 Medium Load Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    yea but rember yrc is still taking 15% of employees wages because of financial problems

6. Elendil

Mar 27, 2011
    Ottawa, IL
    YRC is 4th.

THis is from last year, but close enough: http://www.jindel.com/Newsroom/IndustryData/top25ltl_2012_0423.htm

7. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
  8. Elendil

Mar 27, 2011
    Ottawa, IL
    Nope. Do the math yourself. If they were added together they would be 2nd

9. cadman1989

cadman1989 Light Load Member

May 8, 2009
    Trenton, OH
    I work for Pitt Ohio, just started about 6 wks ago after 7 yrs of OTR. It was indeed the best decision Ive made in a driving career. My previous employer did me well, they are the only other company I worked for, but it was time to get home, especially with 5 kids at home. My first choice was UPS, but I cant afford to be "on call" on that hog board, waiting for the call, it's worth it in the long run if u can stick it out, but I need consistent $ from day 1. Pitt does not force dock work, its completely voluntary and up to u how much u want to work, as long as u don't cut into ur 70 hrs. I work linehaul, 5 nights, off SAt night and Sun night. The night shift can suck and they have an expectation of arriving at the terminals within the allotted transit time, leaves little time for a break, but on the same hand 166-238 mile runs aren't that tough, then spin around and head home. Benefits are no cost health insurance, profit share, 401k, they pay u to drop n hook, pretrip, even to stretch before ur shift... I am paid mileage plus auxiliary pay for those other small things and then hourly for dock work. The first 3 yrs at Pitt u r eligible for an anniversary raise + a cost of living increase every May, from .01/.02/mi .75/1.00 hr. THey just gave us all a random raise last month to reward us for record high profits. I'm very satisfied. The P/D side, all I know is those guys are paid hourly and work 12+ hrs a day, so they are making some serious scratch. I know guys there, linehaul and city that are making 90k+/yr. The city guys go into some tight spots and some out of the way places, but I cant give u much info on that. Pitt has 23 terminals in Indy, TOledo, Columbus, Cleveland, Cinci, WV, PA, and Michigan. Hope that helps u some.

10. ACH1130

ACH1130 Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    YRC is still bigger, you forgot YRC Reimer in Canada. In the metro area where I am there are 5 YRC terminals and only 2 fxf. CWF and YRC are the two biggest right now.

Now FXF could be as big one day. FXF and UPSF are still new in the LTL world.

11. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    I think Old D will take over eventually. They've been growing at a rapid rate and are first in making money on the dollar with YRC regionals 2nd.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.