thinking of going with prime

Discussion in 'Prime' started by bigelk, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Gordon A

Gordon A Medium Load Member

Jul 22, 2013
    You will get home. When you ask for it don't ask. Tell them when you want off . Period. They don't need your reason, Do not say OK after you tell them. It just turned into a question and if your not home when requested the answer was NO. Most drivers that stay out for long periods are either no home life or are trying to get bills paid down. A few don't know how to request time off . Remember, Your a person too. Some dispatchers look at drivers a revenue bonuses, and a tool to get the job done with.Now and again remind them gently your not sleeping in your bed each night and allowed to grab a beer to relax.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    If the OP does go with Prime, he'll find that all he has to do is request home time. It works better if you are a bit flexible with your arrival date. A couple of weeks in advance just let your FM know, and he'll put the request into the computer. When I was on the company side I had ZERO problems getting home. Most of what the other respondents have posted here is what you will encounter at other carriers. You will not be forced to give up your truck, unless you take an extended leave of absence. Company policy is 3 weeks out between home visits for not more than 4 days... not including arrival and departure days. You can always work something else out with your FM if you need to for something special. You accrue 1 home day each week out. After you are A-seat qualified, you'll earn 5 days vacation with vacation pay every 125,000 miles.

I sure wish random drivers with no connection with Prime wouldn't try to answer these posts with total bull crap.

augiedoggie41 and bigelk Thank this.
  4. jk72180

jk72180 Light Load Member

Jul 10, 2013
    Cedar Hill MO
    I've always gotten home when needed. Had an emergency come up once and my fm got me home in 2 days. Such a terrible company we work for. (sarcasm)

5. Easy Steamer

Easy Steamer Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Prime won't do that to you, I have stayed home for over a week and the truck stays in my driveway

6. Easy Steamer

Easy Steamer Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I agree, If they don't know the policies and procedures of our company they should not comment

JimmyBones and FullMetalJacket Thank this.
  7. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Trolling for recruiting bonuses on one of our threads...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2014
  8. jtyms131

jtyms131 Bobtail Member

Apr 9, 2017
    with the vacation time can I add to that with the days I accrued from being out? for example my family goes on a 7-day cruise once a year. if I only get 5 days of vacation time can I tack on a extra 2 days from the days I accrued being on the road prior to my vacation start date?

9. 4wayflashers

4wayflashers Heavy Load Member

Mar 14, 2014
    As with any mega carrier your dispatcher/fleet manager is going to make those decisions, unless its company policy and then still. If you run hard, arent a "problem child" your dispatch should not have a problem with this. Some dispatchers are nearly impossible to get along with.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.