Thinking of joining Werner from school?

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Nirb, Mar 30, 2008.

1. IROCUBabe

IROCUBabe Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Eh I am leery on that story, I've been through their training and everyone in my class minus 2 ppl have been through training (14 in all) and the worst complaint I've heard was a driver who only took 1 shower every like 14 days and his truck smelled of body funk. The way Werner ran their trainer trucks I don't see how anyone could sleep in the top bunk; the truck is like always moving unless your delivering or loading heh.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 2IronHeads

2IronHeads Bobtail Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Versailles, MO
    Nirb, $239 a week is what you made during your 275 hours? What kinda of expence do you have on the road? I worry about home time and willing to sacifice $ in order to be home. I do have pre-hire with Werner and "they" say I will be home about every 6 days. True of False
    Thanks in advance to All

4. kingsson

kingsson Heavy Load Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    So it's been a while. How's the Werner thing going, Rocks? Is that what you decided to do? I would be interested in your progress. Being involved with the trucking industry here in Omaha (from the Sapp Brothers right across the interstate) as well as driving for another company, I have talked to a LOT of Werner drivers and trainees. Mixed reviews. It is a large company and communication can sometimes be an issue. I have talked in the same day to trainees who have been sitting at the terminal for days waiting for a trainer, and trainers who have been at the terminal for days waiting for trainees. Werner is a good TRAINING company, because everyone has to start somewhere and get the 1-2 years of OTR experience to move on to better things. I don't think I would make a career there. From all I've heard, you have to find just the right niche to make it work - a dedicated run, working an account (Dollar General, etc. where you load and unload your own trailer), to have a chance. You can also become a trainer after only a few months and just barely knowing where the steering wheel is yourself. Good trainers TRAIN. Other trainers use their trainee as a way of simply getting more miles. That's probably tru of any company.

5. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Unless you're on dedicated and live in the same area of the DC, don't plan on it. Hubby drove dedicated out of Tomah during his training and for three months after, but we were about 100 miles from the DC. It was pretty much every three weeks he got home.

6. Nirb

Nirb Bobtail Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Tennessee
    Yeah thats what i made enough to buy some ramone noodles and some water hah :) Yeah don't plan on being home every 6 days. At first i got home about every 2 months which was my choice but i don't think i heard of any driver otr that gets home every 6 days. The only way i know of it is dedicated account which they seem to be harder and harder to get on now n days.

7. IROCUBabe

Apr 9, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Impossible to get you mean!

8. Nirb

Nirb Bobtail Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Tennessee
    Hey yeah still doing the Werner thing its ok i wouldn't say it rocks :) Yeah the dedicated are the money makers some of my friends are on dollar general accounts im on a dedicated account now also but its one of those lazy accounts well some flat bed but thats not much of a problem. I was offered to train and decided against it, just not enough money to train and like you said barely knowing where the steering wheel is and trying to train thats gotta be a disaster hah take it easy, ill hit yeah up next time im at sapp brothers its been like 4 months.

9. Nirb

Nirb Bobtail Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Tennessee
    Hey IrocuBabe, I was going to send yeah a pm but im still a tiny member so not allowed lol.. Hey if you read this hit me up I think Ive meet yeah a couple times at some of the terminal wanna say hey lates..

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2008
  10. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    You need 50 posts to enable PM privileges.

Just send your PM to any moderator, and they will forward it for you.

11. IROCUBabe

Apr 9, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    I stay away from terminals they r evil...

I haven't been to a terminal in close to 2 months before today when we had to drop off a load. i high tailed it like hell out there though soon as we got through safety lane. Dallas terminal is no fun to be locked down at lol.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.