Thinking on a New T680

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by cgarys, Apr 21, 2019.

1. cgarys

cgarys Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Pab City, Newfoundland
    Hi guys. Forgive me in advance I've never posted here before.
    I'm thinking of ordering a new T680. Not real familiar with Kenworth, have never driven one (KW) other than a day here and there.
    Anyway this is what I'm considering.
    T680 X15 525/1850, 18 Speed with 3:42 or possiblly even 3:55. I'm in Eastern Canada, Newfoundland to be exact and there isn't much wide open flat land here to stroll along.
    Meritor axles, 4 lockers. Diamond VIT. May rule out the NAV + and do the double block of gauges. Seems to be a bunch of issues with the Nav. Is the Nav+ HD an updated version? I'm sure it'll have issues in time.
    Just wanna hear different opinions from guys who are in the trucks and what options different drivers and O/O's like and dislike either interior or exterior.
    Thanks in Advance
    Safe Travels

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If you had 200 gauges in there for everything, that is old school and makes drivers like myself very happy. Computers are nice but I fight back against dumbed down cabs with just a couple of gauges.

3:42 has to be enough. You will want a APU that can provide heat and cooling and possibly even inverter power. You probably would not worry too much about areo stuff, snow and ice has a way of getting into everything.

I don't know too much about Nav but if you have a good one in there as a assistive device that's great. However I try to check a route and learn it rather than just take a big rig where the dot wants to go.

MartinFromBC, KB3MMX and cgarys Thank this.
  4. cgarys

cgarys Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Pab City, Newfoundland
    I'd take the look of the extra gauges over the screen anyday as well Driver. Didn't need it for Navigation as my route doesn't change much up here and highway system is considerably smaller that the Interstate system drivers run in the US. No APU but a Espar or Wabasto bunker heater and an inverter with the battery charge option is also planned. No need for AC when I'm parked. Doesn't get the hot after dark

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  5. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    I would definitely get heated mirrors. Think hard about the fridge. It’s convenient but small and pricey to replace while taking storage space. I would also order the top bed because it’s more spacious than storage bins. Also really consider wheelbase so either you have room for a cab rack or you have a narrow gap for your dry van. 22.5 tires save fuel over 24.5.

KB3MMX and cgarys Thank this.
  6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Don't get the nav. You'll be outdated really quick and it'll probably cost a ##### and 2 nuts to update the maps.
    Top bunk for extra storage.

I don't know about others thinking but 355 probably be better in the mountains then 342.
    If you were all flatland I'd say 342.

7. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Keep in mind the x15 makes power rreeaally low rpms.

8. cgarys

cgarys Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Pab City, Newfoundland
    Yeah my fear with the Nav is its something I won't use but end up costing me money. I'm leaning toward the 3:55's myself as well on 11r22.5. I haul intermodal on a tridem chassis, we're not in the mountains like out in the Rockies but its hard terrain on fuel mileage, especially with the 3 legged wagon.
    Heated/Power mirrors and heated hood mirrors, Yes. Fridge in the bunk but I dont think I'm going to go for the swivel passenger seat and table. Doesn't seem like something I'd use and I don't like how the table hangs over the bed.

9. tnevin225

tnevin225 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2014
    Why not go down into the 2:64 range and run in direct, the you have two more OD gears when you want them.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  10. cgarys

cgarys Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Pab City, Newfoundland
    The few guys I've heard who have tried that setup over here haven't had any lucky running tri axle loads. They didn't like the set up and haven't had a positive affect on fuel mileage. I've never ran the setup so I don't know.

11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You will want the top bed. Wife and I carried green bins secured with clamp lock lids and further with half inch rope, it did not matter where the truck went the bins stayed in place.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.