Third Lane Violation Question

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by jr29, Jul 11, 2011.

1. jr29

jr29 Bobtail Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Tennessee
    I apologize if I could have found this elsewhere on the site, but a lot of the information I am finding is confusing. I recently received a ticket outside of Indianapolis for a third lane violation. My question is, how many points will be assessed to my drivers license ? I have read everything from 3 to 9.
    I know I shouldn't have been there. It was a momentary lapse in judgement.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dave26027

dave26027 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Dallas, Texas
    Asking a bunch of bored drivers won't help. By the time this thread dies you'll be completely confused. Hit the internet and go to your D.M.V. Every state's got its' own standards. Fight it, maybe you'll avoid a conviction- which may or may not help.
    Good luck.

Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  4. jr29

jr29 Bobtail Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the reply. I tried the DMV site, but it was hard to navigate. I should probably just call them.

5. Hardlyevr

Hardlyevr Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Mapleton Depot,PA
    And it may vary between the state you got the ticket in and how your home state interprets it to post on your license. I had that happen several years ago from a ticket on the 285 loop in Atlanta.

6. jr29

jr29 Bobtail Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Tennessee
    If I am interpreting my home state's laws correctly, this will be a four point violation.... I think. There is no third lane violation listed on the point value part of the site.

7. 07-379Pete

07-379Pete Crusty Commando-Pete

Oct 3, 2008
    Campbellsville, Ky
    I dont think Tn would put points on your Lic because Tn doesn't have a third lane or left lane law for the whole state just in the hills. At worst it could be a failure to obey a traffic control device but thats a ticket in its self.

JMO

8. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Sure TN does around the metropoliton areas. The ticket is the same as a failure to obey.... I think it's 2 points. It's not real serious.

I find IN the most picky about the left lane. I got yelled at twice up around Gary but never pulled over.

9. jr29

jr29 Bobtail Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Tennessee
    I hope you're right. I was told it would be 6 points and I would almost be forced to fight that.

10. Yup

Yup Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Everywhere,USA(Texas)
    Failing to fight any citation is inexcusable,rolling over to a revenue system is just plain w e a k !

They count on this and therefore win far more then they are actually entitled to.
    Keep that radio tuned in when running the high line around Circle City,and I dont mean your iPod!

11. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    It's in the drivers manual jr. You can go to the Tennessee.gov? website and download a pdf copy.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.